How much oil in the filter?

svasica

Founding Member
Jan 13, 1999
Long Island
I've been very busy with the new house in the past year and haven't had a chance to address the car at all. It sat for a year without getting started.

The oil (mobile 1 synthetic) was fresh a year ago. Before staring it up now, I just changed out the oil and filter with mobile 1 products yesterday. I haven't cranked her up yet.

What I noticed though when I took the old oil filter off was there wasn't any oil that came out at the block, I'm guessing because it's been sitting and had a chance to drain into the filter and/or crankcase? How much oil can I expect to be "stuck in the filter", up to a quart?!

After I drained all the oil from the crankcase and what I could get out of the filter, it only looks like 4 quarts came out (after I filled the crankcase with the new 5 quart jug I poured the old oil into the container). Although the filter still feels heavy so I'm assuming there's still more stuck in there. Is it possible there's old oil that turned into "sludge" and is still stuck in the engine?

Thing is last year after I put in the fresh mobile 1 it didn't get driven for more than 100 miles so if it sludged up it would have been from the year of sitting through the cold north east weather.

When the oil drained it seemed to be pretty thick but I wouldn't quite consider it sludge, but I haven't let my oil sit like that in the engine for a year so I don't know what it should look like after a year.

Sent from my DInc using Tapatalk

• Sponsors (?)

Fresh Mobil One isn't likely to turn to sludge just sitting in an unused engine. Ho heat, no gasoline, no combustion product contaminates to mess up the chemistry. The only thing you would need to be concerned with is water condensation. It you stored the car indoors, that isn't likely to be much of a problem

I just started the engine for about a minute and then shut it down to check the oil level. I saw a bunch of what looked like air bubbles on the dip stick, although I don't remember if it was like that a year ago. Would this be normal right after turning off the engine and checking the dip stick? BTW, I put in a full 5 quarts, that should be the oil capacity with filter right?

Sent from my DInc using Tapatalk