• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

How much Should an exhaust install cost?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mikemustang289
  • Start date Start date Oct 14, 2006
M

mikemustang289

Member
Jan 12, 2006
224
0
16
mesa, az
Oct 14, 2006
#1
  • Oct 14, 2006
  • #1
I'm gonna call up some shops on Monday. I will be buying the mufflers, installing the headers, and buying an X-pipe as well if they don't have them at the shop.

I'm gonna drive there on open headers, hand them an X-pipe and two mufflers, and let them do the welding and bending.

I want a very simple exhaust setup, mandrel bent 2 1/2 inch. From the headers to the X-pipe, then through some dyno-max bullets and exiting in front of the rear tire, no special tips just pipe.

I called one place and they quoted me from 300-400 over the phone, but that was not an exhaust shop.

Any one have a rough idea of what this should cost or know of a good place to go in the phoenix area? For $400 I will buy a welder, teach myself to weld, and do it myself.
 

GoinBroke

New Member
Jul 13, 2006
109
0
0
Joliet, Il
Oct 14, 2006
#2
  • Oct 14, 2006
  • #2
I have a quote from a local shop to install a 2.5" exhaust from my LT headers back to rear valence with H pipe and 40 series Flowmasters for $325. The down side is they are not mandrel bends. I would guess with you supplying those parts it should run you $160 max.
 

wicked93gs

15 Year Member
Sep 30, 2006
1,198
229
93
Nashville TN
Oct 14, 2006
#3
  • Oct 14, 2006
  • #3
I was charged $70 on my neon for a custom made front section and rear section...but then, it wasnt mandrel bent either...they also charged me $70 for my new muffler...so $140 total
 

69gmachine

Member
Dec 2, 2004
576
2
19
Southern Maryland
Oct 14, 2006
#4
  • Oct 14, 2006
  • #4
I took my car to a local "high performance" muffler shop in Southern Maryland, "Insane Exhaust". I had bought the Magnaflow kit from Summit, and did most of the installation myself. The only thing I asked them to do was connect the x-pipe to the headers, and to use ball style joints at the headers. One week and over $300 later I had my exhaust system hooked up, with the cheesy 3 bolt flanges that always leak. They did use preformed mandrel bends, but they were only about a foot in length and weren't even stainless. Needless to say I was not a happy customer. Eventually I plan to go back and make them replace the crappy 3 bolt flanges with ball and sockets that I paid for, but I have bigger problems with my motor at the moment. It's really hard to find a good shop. Try to get references from happy customers, but even this isn't a guarantee. I've seen other cars Insane Exhaust did that were incredibly well done, but they did the whole system and charged around $800. I guess they think anything they do is worth megabucks.
 
T

truck90278

New Member
Jun 4, 2006
382
1
0
Redondo Beach, CA
Oct 14, 2006
#5
  • Oct 14, 2006
  • #5
Most muffler shops cannot make "mandrel" bends. the typical bending machine in the shops do no insert the piece required into the tubing before bending, you are probably in the $2-300 range. Remember, the owners of these shops are trying to make a living and have a lot of expenses just to operate their shops.
 
M

mikemustang289

Member
Jan 12, 2006
224
0
16
mesa, az
Oct 14, 2006
#6
  • Oct 14, 2006
  • #6
I think I'm just going to setup the exhaust myself then have someone weld it. Since this is such a simple setup, I am just going to get a summit X-pipe kit then purchase some pre-bent mandrel pipe to exit in front of the rear tire. If they still want an arm and a leg just to weld it I'll pay one of buddies to weld it for me. Thanks for the help.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

New Exhaust for 408w stroker
  • SadbutTrue
  • Sep 10, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
107
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Sep 10, 2026
nickyb
A
Discussion on mild budget build/ top end
  • Acesario
  • Feb 21, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
20
Views
927
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Feb 23, 2026
General karthief
G
1982 Mustang GL 5.0 single to dual exhaust conversion
  • Guyton
  • Jun 27, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
15
Views
821
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 1, 2025
limp
F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
280
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
Some exhaust welding help needed
  • limp
  • May 31, 2024
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3 4
Replies
75
Views
8K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 29, 2024
General karthief
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?