How Strong Are These Motors?

arena314

Sep 15, 2015
how strong of a motor is the 2v 4.6? not under boost or anything just stock internals with lots of bolt ons how strong are the motors and how many miles have people put on them with ease? I hear there very strong but some say they like to spin bearings is this true? I also heard it's not uncommon for these engines to go 250-300k or more. let's just say if they are well maintained new oil and Motorcraft filter every 3k miles and normal maintenance

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Sponsors (?)

They are strong. There is a reason cabs and police depts used them for so long.

We spray a 150+k npi motor with n2o. It's seen well over 200 bottles and the passes associated 5-6 per bottle lol. It still fires right up and runs high 11s.

Yep. Stock 98 short block. Freshened pi heads, hi tech cams, and pi intake were installed 5 or so years ago and we've been gagging it ever since.

We've shattered the trans and rear but the engine is still clicking!

that's impressive. mine runs great it's a 96 block with pi heads cams and intake with bolt ons. it runs great but the only issue I've been having is when the engine is running for 20 minutes or so and I'm idling at a light for awhile when start off she let's out some blue smoke. Im running 5w20 synthetic blend. what do you think I should start running that's a little thicker?

I've had 3, one I sold at 125k miles, another I sold at 160k miles, and my current car is 94k miles. None ever had any issues from the heads on down. Sometimes ya gotta do a IAC, or a EGR valve, little stuff like that. These things can take real abuse and just run strong. You use good oil, change it when you should, do regular maintenance, you're golden.

I don't think the 4.6 SOHC motor runs particularly tight tolerances. The 5W20 spec from the factory comes from directives to reduce pumping losses to improve fuel economy for CAFE fleet numbers.

The 5.4L mod in the GT500 uses 5W50.

I run Rotella T6 5W40 in my GT. I also run it in my Subaru STi because that engine's rod bearings are suspect (anecdotally at least) and susceptible to spinning; T6's superior shear resistance supposedly helps. This is primarily a diesel oil (though has SM API rating) and doesn't have energy-saving/friction-reducing additives (it can even be used in wet-clutch applications like motorcycles; I've used it in my 800cc sport bike too...) and I believe it has higher-than-average ZDDP.

Anyway, the 4.6 is a tough motor but you have to respect the hypereutectic pistons and skinny powdered rods. Anything more than 450rwHP on the stock block is asking for it...

The 4.6L 2V will last forever with bolt ons and will handle moderate levels of squeeze from a power adder pretty well.

Rods and pistons are the weak link. The block and crank (even the cast ones) will take pretty much anything you'll throw at them at street power levels.

The early Mod motors get a bad wrap, but they're good, reliable engine, that has the ability to make good power if done right. You won't be rewarded with N/A bolt ons like you will with an OHV Windsor, so ifyou want it to perform, skip the small stuff and go straight to a power adder.

I picked up some conventional pennzoil 5w30 high mileage for the stang and a Motorcraft filter I'll do the change Sunday and see how it works