how to clean MAF & other ant other suggestions

95conv.5.0

Jun 19, 2006
Bremerton, Wa
I was advised to clean the MAF in my 95 GT, I don't know how to do that, a friend of mine who works in a parts store and works on Mustangs (has 2 of his own) he told me that it can't be cleaned(?) he said I could damage it if I tried to clean it, I'm thinking there must be a way and since I'm just learning to work on my own car I'd ask you all for some suggestions on this. I'm ready to try just about anything to get my car running right I've already replaced the distributor, cap, rotor, TPS, air filter, thermostat, sparkplugs and wires, serpentine belt, oil change, and flushed the radiator and it still won't run without getting real hot and bad as soon as it warms up. When I changed the sparkplugs, wires & thermostat it ran right for 2 days then right back to where it was(?). Also how do you know if the engine cooling fan is working? when my car was running right I could hear it but with it running so bad I can't hear anything like that. I would appreicate any other suggestions or help to get my car running right. Thank You all

• Sponsors (?)

It isn't really that hard to clean, what you need to do is unplug/remove the mass air meter from the car and unscrew the torx screws attaching the meter to the mass air housing. Once you do that use a q-tip with alcohol on it and carefully swab the the diode that has very small wires holding it on. Atfer doing that put everything put everything back together and you should be to good to go. On the overheating issue check and verify that the cooling fan is coming on and we can go from there.

You need to get tamperproof torx bits at the parts store (your buddy can show you them in the tool aisle).

You can pop the hood and note if the fan is on. It should be on with the AC period, and low speed comes on at ~208*F.

You can install a manual fan switch to make sure the fan is on, if desired.

If you dont have a real temp gauge, I'd get one (even a cheapie mechanical gauge from the parts store).

When you pull codes, both fan speeds will cycle first thing.
Good luck.