Fox How to clean underside of lower intake?

James V

5 Year Member
Feb 26, 2017
Connecticut
About to reassemble my engine and before I put the lower intake back on I was wondering if I should clean the underside of it and if so what do I use to clean it? (I know I still need to remove the old gaskets)

20200202_084558.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Oven Cleaner

Leave it on for about 5-10 minutes, scrub, rinse, and repeat until clean.
Nothing works quite as good as the $1/can oven cleaner you get from the dollar store.

I also like this stuff called black maxx. It can be found at some auto parts stores. Stuff is strong as hell.

Reactions: 1 users
It's pretty caked on. Old overused oil does that? When I took off the lower intake it was using the original 26 year old Ford gasket so it was definitely time to get in there and change it and clean.

Yup, that looks like typical oil sludge from a lack of oil changes. The oil builds up in that gooey mess when it brakes down. If it's just on the bottom of the intake, I wouldn't worry about it. If the valley of the engine under the intake has that much sludge in it, it's not good. I mean, there is nothing you can really do about it, but that's what it is. The sludge is not the problem, it's the bearings and rings that have been running on spent oil that causes the problem.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing works quite as good as the $1/can oven cleaner you get from the dollar store.

I also like this stuff called black maxx. It can be found at some auto parts stores. Stuff is strong as hell.

I haven't done the oven cleaner yet. I wonder if you through the intake in the oven and put it on self clean? What do you think? I have soaked metal parts in carb cleaner and lit them on fire before.

Kurt

• Haha
I haven't done the oven cleaner yet. I wonder if you through the intake in the oven and put it on self clean? What do you think? I have soaked metal parts in carb cleaner and lit them on fire before.

Kurt
I definitely wouldn’t recommend putting it in the oven. Just a quick soak in the flaky oven cleaner and a pressure washer does wonders

Reactions: 1 users
As I understand it, the key is to have a water valve right off your water heater feeding the pressure washer. I haven't installed one yet, but hot water makes all the difference.

Kurt

Kurt

Maybe while the wife was out shopping:shrug:
But I wouldnt dare try that in my kitchen if I know what’s good for me.

Oven Cleaner

Leave it on for about 5-10 minutes, scrub, rinse, and repeat until clean.
I agree... I tried degresser and brush but would never get it all off... used the oven cleaner and it goes to town on that nastiness... just make sure you rinse it off really good... heard it can eat alum if left on... cleaned off all that old oil tarnish inside my oil pan too... looked new when I was done... also used it to clean the inside of my upper... again degresser wouldn't clean it, and I even used a pressure washer..

Last edited: