how to know if your fuel pump is dead

• Sponsors (?)

turn the key, listen for it to prime.
push the shrader vlv, see it fuel is coming out of the rail (cover your eyes)

some other points of interest, check the fuse panel under the dash, there is a 20a under there that (I think) sends power the CCRM to power the relay to power the pump....

the cutoff switch in the trunk, by the driver side tailight, make sure it isn't open

not sure about fixing a fuel pump....don't think there is a whole lot to fix on them

good luck

Everytime I think a fuel pump has went out I have spent hours checking fuses, relays, switches and all that stuff. I then proceeded to pay to have a fuel pump put in. I no longer check anything, I listen for a fuel pump, no noise, no pump. If your vehicle was running fine and now it rolls over but wont fire it is probably your pump. It sucks but it is one of those bite the bullet kind of things.

You have to drop the fuel tank to change the fuel pump. So odds are, if you're car stops working, and you just topped off the tank, then it's your fuel pump. A fuel pump failing when you have a 1/4 tank defies the laws of car physics.

Kurt

You have to drop the fuel tank to change the fuel pump. So odds are, if you're car stops working, and you just topped off the tank, then it's your fuel pump. A fuel pump failing when you have a 1/4 tank defies the laws of car physics.

Kurt

Lucky for me when mine went out in the suburban with a 45 gallon tank I had less than 5 gallons in mine. Same as when it went out in the stang, I guess I am just not very good at keeping gas in the tank.

easy way to check is just pop the fuel line that feeds the rail. try to prime the pump by turing the key and see if fuel pours out. its best done with a buddy. but the schrader valve works too lol.