• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Paint and Body How to paint tail light assembly textured plastic

  • Thread starter Thread starter AnthonyA1234
  • Start date Start date Aug 31, 2024

AnthonyA1234

5 Year Member
Aug 17, 2020
674
111
63
Florida
Aug 31, 2024
#1
  • Aug 31, 2024
  • #1
I’m changing the lens on my tail lights and I wanted to shoot some fresh paint on the assembly while I’m doing this. The assembly has a rough texture to it. I wanted to use this sem trim black paint I have laying around. How should I prep this to spray some fresh paint on it?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0816.webp
    879.2 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0817.webp
    516.8 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0818.webp
    350.6 KB · Views: 158

Kid wita 5oh

I'm definitely not in the original hole
Founding Member
Nov 5, 2000
1,408
150
93
Saugus, MA
Aug 31, 2024
#2
  • Aug 31, 2024
  • #2
That stuff lays down real easy, just scuff with red scotchbrite and wipe down with a prep cleaner or rubbing alcohol
 

evintho

20+ Year Stangneter
Nov 12, 2003
683
246
73
Santa Rosa, CA.
Aug 31, 2024
#3
  • Aug 31, 2024
  • #3
Just scuff it up with a 3M Scotch-Brite general purpose scuff pad #07447. It's not really exposed to the elements, it'll be fine. Also, SEM Trim Black is quality paint.
 

AnthonyA1234

5 Year Member
Aug 17, 2020
674
111
63
Florida
Aug 31, 2024
#4
  • Aug 31, 2024
  • #4
Will do, thanks guys
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,337
18,064
224
Massachusetts
Sep 3, 2024
#5
  • Sep 3, 2024
  • #5
While you are at it, paint the inner reflective surfaces with fresh white or chrome paint. You'll be surprised what a difference it makes
 
Reactions: limp, AeroCoupe and General karthief

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,162
4,254
183
Claremore, OK
Sep 3, 2024
#6
  • Sep 3, 2024
  • #6
I did semi-gloss white on mine when I repainted them and put new lenses on. I really like how they look with the lights on. I think you could do a semi-gloss silver and it may even look better.
 
Reactions: General karthief

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
5 Year Member
Oct 4, 2020
5,501
2,922
173
Florida
Sep 3, 2024
#7
  • Sep 3, 2024
  • #7
I always like to start with a " grease and wax" remover, if not lacquer thinner or Acetone... I like to make sure I am not scratching any contaminants into the paint, metal or plastic....
Knew a person who's father had a model A sanded down to bare metal and knew he was not going to get to it for at least a year... He sprayed and wiped it down with WD40, to prevent any rusting..... Wiped it down later with every chemical known to man, even finally had the body dipped... The primer/paint would still fish eye on him.. I think they gave up on it and had it crushed......
Just saying....
 
Reactions: 89ripper

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,059
10,683
213
polk county florida
Sep 3, 2024
#8
  • Sep 3, 2024
  • #8
Sooo many things can cause fisheye in paint, first of all you don't wait a year to cover bare metal, and you don't use petroleum based anything to coat bare metal before primer/paint, more So with WD40, it's formulated to penetrate metal surfaces.
We know better now. Back then mah...
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Paint and Body Cowl Pan
  • jeremyzcook82
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
9
Views
247
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Saturday at 3:10 PM
Rcdgl
R
M
Aftermarket Brake light help needed
  • Mustang Steve
  • Mar 17, 2026
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
192
2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- Mar 17, 2026
Mustang Steve
M
Paint and Body What to use to clean up/prep painted surfaces before painting
  • AnthonyA1234
  • Sep 27, 2024
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
588
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 28, 2024
limp
B
Take a look at my rack!
  • bicknell
  • Sep 1, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
9
Views
787
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 13, 2025
Willybill32
Engine Suggestions on an engine rebuild. Stock cam/GT40Ps or aftermarket on both for a fun weekend driver?
  • MadSquirrelTech
  • Apr 28, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 7, 2026
MadSquirrelTech
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?