How to take off headrests?

• Sponsors (?)

Good luck. They will either come off in 20 seconds or you'll lose a finger trying to get them off.
There's a retention clip that you press to release the headrest. The clip presses into the stops to hold the headrest at a given height.

Some folks have used a hacksaw blade down the backside of the headrest (from the top). I couldnt do that and had to unzip the seat and reach up the back of the seat with a screwdriver. I accessed the clip deal this way.

If a donor car is a vert, good luck. That's the part about me about losing a finger. The metal rusts together and can be a real PITFA to spread apart. I spent an hour on one headrest and 1 minute on the other because of this.

Good luck.

soooo the clip is on the backside of the headrest shaft?

Yep (just to be real clear, the clips is on the backseat side of the headrest bar).

For me and going up the back of the seat rest, I had to put my index finger on the tip of a long flatblade screwdriver and shove my arm all the way up till my finger could feel the clip. Then I slid the screwdriver head under the clip and tried to twist. But I had to do it all with one arm and when the screwdriver slipped (all 100 times), it would rip a chunk out of my index finger. Rust was the reason why the hacksaw blade from the top method didnt work either.

Good luck.

I simply unzipped the seat back enough to get my arm up high enough to access the clip. The back stretches a bit once it's unzipped. Maybe Paul knows more since I've never actually removed a seat cover (I'd never get it back on if I did).