Electrical How to test a fuel tank sending unit

• Sponsors (?)

You should have resistance so ohms. On the 1983 sending units it should read 73 ohms empty and 10 ohms full. When you sweep the sending unit from full to empty or visa versa the change in the ohms reading should be smooth.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DPHuemLdjk

The resistance readings are different from maybe 87 and up, and the earlier cars, so make sure you have the right one. RockAuto sent me the wrong one…… ended up having to drop the tank again when my gauge wasn’t reading right. Test the resistance range before you install. (I’ll admit now, I did not continue reading the post, so hopefully this wasn’t covered already) :O_o:

Reactions: 1 user
.... and a new vise ....
1712416138704.png
Details plz...

Limp is in the 90’s hizzouse! Welcome to the world of DVM.

Glad you got it figured out man!
Its the schnizzel ... I needed one anyways to test my Harley ( that would not start the other day)...
Was told to test the crank sensor on it ...... Check out those 83 mustang/capri wiring diagrams in the background.....

DSCF1446.JPG

Details plz...
You asked for it.... Remember I am like a kid in a candy store with stuff like this..

I had looked at vises for the last couple of years, been without since I moved from Oregon to Florida 13+ years ago.... I noticed that they were a bit on the spendy side and I have the tendency to upgrade on tools, even if I don't need it, Too many times going in my neighbors Snap On truck..... Looked at some used ones online, but they were more money than new or junk.....
Anyways I digress.....

So I see this Wilton vice with the " bash " hammer deal going around online... WAY MORE money than I want to spend but looks like a neat deal..
My " Capitol One" credit card keeps sending me emails about deals on this vise... So I look a little closer at this vise...
It weighs 58 pds ( thats good ) and the " bash Hammer" that Wilton is throwing in sells for around $100 by itself... If any of you are looking at vices remember to look at the weight.. Alot of vises are hollow, not solid... So this seems like a pretty nice setup but again more than I needed....

So I keep getting pop ups on this vice and for some reason the best deal is from Lowes, around $80 less than all the others with a pickup at my local store... Then I get another email from Capitol one, that get a kickback on my Capitol One credit card of $28 buying from lowes, so BOOM, I press the buy button......

Now there is one last comment to this story.... The Lowes ad shows the " bash " hammer in the picture but does NOT have it in any of the language of the ad..... So we will see if it will be included..... Do I need the " bash " hammer?? probably not, but I wantz it..... LOL...

For those of you who want to know, after sales tax and my " Kick back " from Capitol One, Total cost is $464....... WAY more than I was going to spend on a vise...... I sure hope my kid has a good IRA......

Should get it soon.... Pictures to follow....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So to bring this to a close.....
In stalled my new 85 fuel line ( fit and will work great).. Yesterday I drove to NPD in Ocala, FL to look at the 81-84 sender and the late 84-85 sender they sell... I had wondered if the fuel line " clocking " was different due to the different routing of the 85 fuel line....
The only difference was the electrical connector so I purchased the one for an 83 Mustang....
Pic here of testing it to my fuel gauge before installing it in the fuel tank... I could not get my new multi tester to work... Pretty sure its operator error..
So I plugged it into the wire connector on the car and moved it to different " levels" ... Seems to be working just fine on my dash fuel gauge... You can see I used multiple wood 2X4's to set different levels....
While the tank is out I could finally get to the one bolt holding the pass side bumper mount to clean and put a couple of coats of paint on both mounts.. Yeah I know, they should be body color but not gonna happen...
I will add some pics of the new fuel line routing to my " fuel line routing post" when I visit under my car again....
DSCF1408.JPG
DSCF1470.JPG
DSCF1469.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user