How Worn is this Drag Radial?

93gtmustang

5 Year Member
Oct 21, 2006
This is a picture of my Nitto Drag Radials. It's the first set of drag radials that I have owned. Could someone tell me, percent wise, how much life is left in the tire. The center tread is almost gone. I didn't know how much tire is left after the tread is gone. Basically when should I replace them. The tires are going to be used at the drag strip only.
Thanks for the help
View attachment 401701

• Sponsors (?)

I was running 30psi on the street and 18psi at the track. I contacted Nitto because the middle was wearing . They reccomended 26 psi for the street, but it was too late, they had already worn. I'm getting a seperate set of wheels and drag radials or slicks for the track, and some street tires for my 16x8 cobra r street set up. I was debating on getting another set of 16x8's if my drag radials had some life left to save the cost of another set of drag tires, but 20 percent isn't much. I may go with a 15x7 or 15x8 Summit Prostar or Draglite replicas and drag tires. I'm still debating between 15's and 16's. Any thoughts on that?

Yeah , my Nitto's use to hook pretty good with the old motor, but who knows how they'll do with the new motor. I don't want to jump the gun and buy drag radials again and then they don't hook with the new motor. I was looking at Hoosier Quick Time Pro's (similair to Mickey thompson Et Streets, slicks with thin lines on them) and Hoosier Drag Radials (they look more like a slick also). Also Mickey Thompson Drag Radials suppose to be good. I don't know, maybe I'll wait and see how my old Nitto's hook and go from there.

Those aint to bad at all. My Nitto's have a little more than that and I burn the crap out of them. They hook good at the track and street, but launching on spray on the street there is no hope for me. You got a little while to go with those.

Ditto... My old BFG's still went low 1.7's with the thread showing before I replaced them.. Granted they where only for the track.. I would NEVER drive them on the street like that. DR's get really dangerous quickly when worn out... I would recommend the Mickey Thompsons though.. They hook UNREAL my 275/50's hook in 1st on the gas from like 10 mph!!!

Thanks for all feedback.
I appreciate it.

I'm thinking of going with a Hoosier slick or ET Streets. I know you're not suppose run regular bias tires with radials. I have BFG G-Sport Radials on the front tires.
Would it be a problem to run a regular bias slick with my front radials just for the track?

So we have 3 opinions that they are pretty well shot and 2 saying that the tires are still pretty good.
Anyone else?
I heard that too, drag radials hook even better when the tread is almost gone.
But how much tire is left at that point?
Thanks

So we have 3 opinions that they are pretty well shot and 2 saying that the tires are still pretty good.
Anyone else?
I heard that too, drag radials hook even better when the tread is almost gone.
But how much tire is left at that point?
Thanks

I allways run em until the chords are showing. :nice: Just be sure to NOT drive them with any water on the road whatsoever!