hows the FRPP adj clutch cable?? + what adjusting setup to use.

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
well today i got my D&D 2.95 gearset t5 in and runnin, been snapping clutch cables like mad (the housing break at the bellhousing, not the actual cable)

i thought maybe the TB was bad so i though hell i need to replace my t5 anyway, bad 3rd gear synchro and no reverse. Got the new t5 in with a tri-ax, drives GREAT no grinds and feels awesome. 2.95 first helps, the shift into second keeps rpms up, gets up to speed faster.

anyway, i've been buying cheap o reilys cable and i break them.

Well today with my new tranny, turns out my TB is fine and nothing is wrong with my car, nothing changed. broke in less than 5 mins, so we concluded its the cable and not my car, all 3 cables it broke less than 5 miles and in the same spot, the plastic just fell apart in our hands, POS O_O

so i need to get a better cable. A friend reccomended steeda, as he has one but their site says that their quadrant is REQUIRED, which scared me. I already have the FRPP quad, dont want to buy anoter one. So i took a look at ford racings product and bought it, its friday so i want something shipped NOW so i can get it next week.

Are these cables good?? I was thinking an actual adjusting cable might be better than a non-adj with a FWA, on the adjustable one your actually changing the length of the cable as opposed to just putting tension on it.

Should i get rid of the FWA and use the rubber grommet and have all my adjustability at the fork??

I got the cable on the way so i am just getting info on it

the t5 is fun and made the car a blast to drive. but i cant drive it.
thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

You kinda lost me, but either Ford cable should do well for you. I have run and examined both and even the adjustable FRPP cable was of good quality IMHO (It didnt look quite as robust as the stock non-adjustable type, but fairly close). I had no issues with either cable. My old SVO single hook quadrant required the Ford adjustable cable.

Good luck.

Do you have a FWA?

Honestly I wouldnt get an adjustable cable if you have an FWA. Just too many things that could come loose and out of adjustment.

Anyone know if you have to disconnect the clutch cable from the pedal to put the FWA on? Easy to do?

BTW I just put a TriAX on my T5 today. Man that thing is tight... Hope it loosens up a little. I get more tranny noise now and it vibrates a little more. But it works.

onefstsnake said:
Anyone know if you have to disconnect the clutch cable from the pedal to put the FWA on? Easy to do?

BTW I just put a TriAX on my T5 today. Man that thing is tight... Hope it loosens up a little. I get more tranny noise now and it vibrates a little more. But it works.
Yes you do. It shouldnt be hard to do, though knowing more about the combo helps (like how do you adjust the cable at the present time?).

Did you reuse your lower shift boot (articulated rubber boot)? It helps cut down road noise, but often needs slight modification to work with aftermarket shifters.

Good luck.