Humming Sound in Rear

TomzGT

Sep 26, 2020
Delray Beach, FL
My 2006 GT (81K miles) with a 5.0 five-speed, just started to give me a humming sound coming from the rear. My regular mechanic says it might be the differential. I'm having a very reputable tranny guy look at it tomorrow. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Is it while under load, constant speed, deceleration or all the time? That might help the tech.
Be sure to let the person who is humming out of the trunk before you take it in.

Is it while under load, constant speed, deceleration or all the time? That might help the tech.
Be sure to let the person who is humming out of the trunk before you take it in.
It's constant, all the time. You're a funny guy! LOL. I always like to sound like I know what's going on. I've read that it could be the wheel hub or axle. This is the first time I've heard something about the differential. I hear it's expensive.... :-(

It’s hard to diagnose a sound over the internet. One constant sound cause can be from the gear pattern being set wrong. So can bearings. Excess lash can be more power dependent. I hope that can narrow it down with the wheels in the air.