I’m concerned about voiding my factory warranty

• Sponsors (?)

Any aftermarket add is subject to warranty issues. These are subjective calls of a dealership mechanic, service manager and warranty administrator.

In most cases CAI and Exhaust changes are not a warranty voiding matter. However, neither of these two items will benefit you performance wise either alone or together....other than giving you more noise.

If you want to be super safe install only Ford Performance Parts as these to retain the factory warranty on your car...at least for the 36 month/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. However some if not all of these parts need to be installed by a dealership or certified mechanic.

You are only partially correct, there is a law out there called the Moss-Magnuson act that specifically addresses this issue. In a nutshell they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the aftermarket part you installed or had installed caused the failure. I.E. they can't void your warranty on the transmission when you install headers or a CAI. But on the flipside, say you install a posi unit and a week later the gears fail in your rear axle, they will definitely void your warranty on the rear axle.

I fully understand the intended root basic protection behind the MMA. I also understand that over the years we have become the United States of Litigation, meaning that you are as protected as your wallet will allow.

In theory adding a CAI should not be grounds to void any other part of a warranty other than the OEM air intake that is no longer in place. However, if after installing a CAI your car displays a check engine light and you take your car in for a warranty claim, you could be charged shop time for diagnosis of the code caused by a non OEM part.

As to voiding the entire bumper to bumper warranty due to a CAI, no, that isn't going to happen. The voided warranty claim must be associated with a direct relation between an aftermarket part effecting the OEM parts malfunction.

Keeping in mind that cars today are all computer monitored and controlled what once would have never made sense before current day electronics are/could now be called feasible relation issues. It would be a far reach, but I can see the day where auto manufactures could argue that the addition of a CAI tripped the computer due to air to fuel mixture and the computer attempted to adjust accordingly. This adjustment also resulted in the electronic controls of the transmission to shift at points out if its designed program causing damage to the transmission. There for the transmission warranty claim could be denied due to something as simple as the addition of the CAI.

AS far fetched as that sounds, that day could be coming. After all the manufactures are in the business of profits on the bottom line. Warranty claims and recalls are a big drain of profit dollars from that bottom line.

It is spelled out in pretty plain simple wording that in summary "if you choose to play, be prepared to pay".

Reactions: 1 user
Any aftermarket add is subject to warranty issues. These are subjective calls of a dealership mechanic, service manager and warranty administrator.

In most cases CAI and Exhaust changes are not a warranty voiding matter. However, neither of these two items will benefit you performance wise either alone or together....other than giving you more noise.

If you want to be super safe install only Ford Performance Parts as these to retain the factory warranty on your car...at least for the 36 month/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. However some if not all of these parts need to be installed by a dealership or certified mechanic.

I believe it is the same as Ford Performance Parts in that coverage remains intact for the 36/36K bumper to bumper coverage.
however this is a question to ask your dealership