Fox I cannot get this steering wheel off!

I guess I've been lucky. Mine is very easy to remove. I use a small cordless 1/4" impact driver and this puller.
3900.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

My cars are 91 and 93, so maybe they attach differently, but as I recall if you put the center bolt back in loosely you could actually just wiggle the wheel (forcibly) and changing hand positions from time to time to get it free. The reason you put the bolt in is only to catch the wheel when it pops loose so you don’t fly into the back seat.

My cars are 91 and 93, so maybe they attach differently, but as I recall if you put the center bolt back in loosely you could actually just wiggle the wheel (forcibly) and changing hand positions from time to time to get it free. The reason you put the bolt in is only to catch the wheel when it pops loose so you don’t fly into the back seat.

I tried pulling on the thing, I dont know what's holding it on lol. I was thinking of maybe spraying some liquid wrench on it to loosen it. But I think at this point a shop can maybe use an impact and get it off easier than I can.

That was a bit rude, but fairly accurate.
The wheel slides on or off the splined shaft straight Without side or tilting force. Side to side pulling might pop it loose, but do not count on it not ruining something. The puller is designed to apply force in the correct direction.
When reinstalling, use a little grease on the splines and threads, and be VERY careful to not crossthread the nut and end of the shaft. If that happens, I hope you have jewelers files or the right thread chaser to avoid replacing the column for a ruined shaft.
Some projects go better with an experienced helper or at least pictures. I hate to give this answer, but YouTube can be really helpful before diving into anything unfamiliar, so please watch it being done right.

For the record...there is the main shaft under the cover on the steering wheel that you remove exposing a NUT, NOT a bolt...on it. You remove the NUT.

When you remove the cover, there will be two holes that a puller bolts into. The threaded insert on the puller threads through the puller. Once threaded through the puller, you place the provided pivot end on the puller that threads against the main shaft that you removed the nut off of. Then you start to tighten down the threaded insert. That action will force the steering wheel to pull off of the shaft.

IF.... You are doing anything different from that,...smack yourself,...then take the car to a mechanic, and pay out the ass for somebody who knows how to fit a round peg into a round hole, to put a steering wheel on...Then sell the car to somebody else who knows how to use a steering wheel puller.

Reactions: 1 user
For the record...there is the main shaft under the cover on the steering wheel that you remove exposing a NUT, NOT a bolt...on it. You remove the NUT.

When you remove the cover, there will be two holes that a puller bolts into. The threaded insert on the puller threads through the puller. Once threaded through the puller, you place the provided pivot end on the puller that threads against the main shaft that you removed the nut off of. Then you start to tighten down the threaded insert. That action will force the steering wheel to pull off of the shaft.

IF.... You are doing anything different from that,...smack yourself,...then take the car to a mechanic, and pay out the ass for somebody who knows how to fit a round peg into a round hole, to put a steering wheel on...Then sell the car to somebody else who knows how to use a steering wheel puller.

I know how the puller is supposed to work lol this thing will not come off. I think maybe one of the bolt holes on the steering wheel is stripped possibly.

I think that is a very wise choice at this point.
Now I see they changed the system used for decades, loosening the center bolt a turn or two max, then pressing on it would have been a good idea. The no grade bolts that come with most budget puller kits need replaced before use. (I still need to replace some of mine.) Weak bolt threads could not have been good on the threaded holes in that stuck wheel.
Putting some liquid wrench or other penetrating oil might save some hassle.
Heres some pics of the wheel. I am most likely bringing it to a shop to remove it.
20190401_183000.jpg

20190401_183013.jpg

20190401_183017.jpg

In the pics it kinda looks like the metal of the steering wheel around the end of the steering shaft is boogered up. Make sure that the center bolt of the puller is not hitting the steering wheel. If that happens then you are pulling and pushing on the wheel at the same time. It will never come off like that. I've had those pullers bend before. If you're not lined up straight it will start to bend. Once it does that the bolts are toast. The metal might just be marked up from puller walking around as you turn it. Does the puller you are using have an end with a point or is it flat? The point goes in the middle of the steering shaft to keep it from moving. At least that how the ones I've used worked! Good luck!

In the pics it kinda looks like the metal of the steering wheel around the end of the steering shaft is boogered up. Make sure that the center bolt of the puller is not hitting the steering wheel. If that happens then you are pulling and pushing on the wheel at the same time. It will never come off like that. I've had those pullers bend before. If you're not lined up straight it will start to bend. Once it does that the bolts are toast. The metal might just be marked up from puller walking around as you turn it. Does the puller you are using have an end with a point or is it flat? The point goes in the middle of the steering shaft to keep it from moving. At least that how the ones I've used worked! Good luck!

the puller has a flat end, I tried to keep it centered as much as possible so im pretty sure the center bolt wasn't hitting the steering wheel. As far as the marks, those were there before I did anything to it. The thread on the right hole keeps stripping the bolt that goes in it. This wheel is welded on it seems lol.

When I use a steering wheel puller I thread the bolt in the center hole a few turns and blade the puller on the bolt head.

You're beyond that now. That screw hole is stripped. Some penetrating oil like wd40 or PBblaster may help loosen it. Just spray it and let it sit for a while. Put the bolt in until it is about a 16th to a 1/4 inch gap. Put some plastic ( like plastic bag plastic ) over the bolt head and stick the socket on it. Now....pull on the wheel with one hand and smack the socket with a hammer with the other hand. A few good smacks should get it off.

Rocking the steering wheel back and forth from the top and bottom of the wheel helps to work it loose.

I haven't seen one stuck that bad in a long time.

When I use a steering wheel puller I thread the bolt in the center hole a few turns and blade the puller on the bolt head.

You're beyond that now. That screw hole is stripped. Some penetrating oil like wd40 or PBblaster may help loosen it. Just spray it and let it sit for a while. Put the bolt in until it is about a 16th to a 1/4 inch gap. Put some plastic ( like plastic bag plastic ) over the bolt head and stick the socket on it. Now....pull on the wheel with one hand and smack the socket with a hammer with the other hand. A few good smacks should get it off.

Rocking the steering wheel back and forth from the top and bottom of the wheel helps to work it loose.

I haven't seen one stuck that bad in a long time.

I'll give this a try tomorrow, Thanks!

I just did mine I think you had to take of the attached end of the turning power bolt. The kit provides a smaller point that goes on the end. The biggerend wont let the wheel come up. I just had that happen on mine yesterday.