I dont know where waldo is

The rouble is: Nobody would match an H.O. computer to a Non-H.O. engine on purpose. Even if by some freak of nature, you end up with a combo that seems to [run well] the fact is that (if true) it can run a whole better when mated with the correct ECU.

That may not seem helpful but is the case.

As it is, if you're running an HO EEC in a Non-H.O. firing order then there is a mismatch between the ignition and injectors.

• Sponsors (?)

I'll guess...it was an original 5.0 HO GT. Someone blew the motor, had a donor crown vic, dropped the engine in, swapped the heads, and chipped the A9L to change the firing order.

It would be very creative for sure, especially for such a crappy engine. But, I can see it being cheaper than finding an HO motor, if you have everything laying around. The most expensive thing would be tuning the computer unless they had the ability to do that as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'll guess...it was an original 5.0 HO GT. Someone blew the motor, had a donor crown vic, dropped the engine in, swapped the heads, and chipped the A9L to change the firing order.

It would be very creative for sure, especially for such a crappy engine. But I can see it being cheaper than finding an HO motor, if you have everything laying around. The most expensive thing would be tuning the computer unless they had the ability to do that as well.

This is it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220305-124153_Photo Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20220305-124153_Photo Editor.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 41
Casting date code on the block looks like 8J20.

Sept 20, 1988. It’s ab E7TE block which came in all 302s around that time period. Mustangs, trucks, crown vics, etc.

If you have a borescope, pull a plug and see if the pistons have valve reliefs or are flat tops.

I would also verify cam firing order. This can be done a few ways without having to tear the motor apart too much. Typically you can just pop a valve cover off and spin the motor over by hand and watch the valve events. That will tell you if it’s non-HO or HO.

Reactions: 1 user
If you
Casting daye code on the block looks like 8J20.

Sept 20, 1988. It’s ab E7TE block which came in all 302s around that time period.

If you have a borescope, pull a plug and see if the pistons have valve reliefs or are flat tops.

I would also verify cam firing order. This can be done a few ways without having to tear the motor apart too much. Typically you can just pop a valve cover off and spin the motor over by hand and watch the valve events. That will tell you if it’s non-HO or HO.
[/QUOT

I’ll try again…
The HO(edit: should have said A9L, not HO) is sequential fire on the injectors. Not only does the spark plug order change, but so does the injector fire order.

But, fuel corrections are made by bank, so moving injectors from left bank to right bank (and vice versa), will lead to crappy closed loop fuel control.
You can’t just rewire things and get it right.

You said it is great…. Except…. I saw your old thread…. Did you ever fix that issue?
Find a vac leak?

If you don’t believe me on this, fine. I don’t give a crap how your car runs. :runaway:
But if it were my car, I would be pulling valve covers to verify the cam fire order.
If your cam fire order does not match the ecu fire order, you can replace the cam, replace the ecu, or get a chip with a tune for the right fire order.

Or if you’re happy with it, enjoy! :shrug:

I’ll try again…
The HO(edit: should have said A9L, not HO) is sequential fire on the injectors. Not only does the spark plug order change, but so does the injector fire order.

But, fuel corrections are made by bank, so moving injectors from left bank to right bank (and vice versa), will lead to crappy closed loop fuel control.
You can’t just rewire things and get it right.

You said it is great…. Except…. I saw your old thread…. Did you ever fix that issue?
Find a vac leak?

If you don’t believe me on this, fine. I don’t give a crap how your car runs. :runaway:
But if it were my car, I would be pulling valve covers to verify the cam fire order.
If your cam fire order does not match the ecu fire order, you can replace the cam, replace the ecu, or get a chip with a tune for the right fire order.

Or if you’re happy with it, enjoy! :shrug:

13726548 HO
15426378 not HO

If you look, you will notice that 4 of the cylinders (1,2,6,8) fire the same regardless of HO or non HO

So only 4 cylinders would be out of sync. The engine will run either way, just not as crisp and clean with the correct injector firing order.

If anyone remembers batch/bank fuel injection, then you will remember those engines run just fine by firing all of the fuel injectors on one bank and then the next bank. Having sequential injection just makes for a smoother running crisper engine. It also helps with emissions.