I got a free Tach !!! Questions inside

Well we get some random stuff for trade ins at the dealership where im a mechanic. I found this tach in the hatch of a riced out civic.. theres a small problem tho, as i looked at it, there are two orange wires, and two brown wires that are cut on the back. i asked at work, and someone said that those are the wires that determine if youre using it for a 4-6 or 8 cylinder application. he said i should be able just to soilder the wires back together and everything should work fine. anyone know this off hand before i go searching for wiring diagrams and have to call auto meter? thanks in advance, pictures to follow.

Attachments

• Tach1.JPG
    Tach1.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Tach2.JPG
    Tach2.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Sponsors (?)

89MustangGX said:
I agree with the "putting them back together" theory. Have to wonder what it was doing back there though... :shrug:

thats what im thinkin.... i know that the newer tachs have a selector inside that let you determine how many cyliners youre using the tach for... but now 2 people have told me that they used the wire method back in 2003 (thats the date on the gauge)

another vote for the wires. IIRC, you cut one wire for a 6 and 2 for a 4 banger (and leave them all connected for an 8). if you have a 12, you need to go buy more wires. :D

if you can, like mentioned, consult with the manufacturer's site.

good luck.

Just in case anyone else runs across this problem, i called autometer, and the wait actually awasnt as bad as i was anticipating. he said that model of tach in fact is where you have to cut the wires to determine the cylinders. i just have to soilder them back together and they should work fine. thanks to everyone for your input! :nice: