I have a new stutter and a CEL, need advice

SMRcalidiv

Founding Member
Aug 14, 2002
Sacramento, CA
Well my car began stuttering today and idling roughly, then it threw the check engine light. I have not done anything to the car recently that I can look back on and it was running fine yesterday. There is new gas in the car and Ive just now used a quarter tank, but just driving it home I noticed I used more gas than normal...weird. Anyways, is there a cheap scan tool I could buy, I see them at Pep Boys/ Kragen and I would rather buy one than pay close to the same to have it scanned. Thoughts on the problem and the tool?

Since it's a guessing game until the codes are ran, I vote for a loose vac. line

The guys at the local Autozone know when I go that it's time for them to pull a code. They know me by name and guess my problem before we pull the code Sad thing is, I never go there unless I need a code pulled. I goto Oreilly which is right beside them for "shopping".

d98gt said:
The plug and COP? I'm going to win the bet with that guess.

I guess we'll see once he returns with the results

Well if it's stuttering while driving then it's a misfire of some sort.. and the most common cause of a misfire is a bad COP and plug on the modular motors.

if it's only idling bad and is fine under part throttle then it could be a vac leak..

lets see what the codes are..

Ok, guys I am going to get s scanner here in a little while and I will post the codes. I would drive the car down to Autozone but after shooting a plug out of my head, TWICE, I would rather play it safe and wait. So stay tuned lol

Lucky guess

Anyways, I'd go with pulling the plug out first and inspecting it. If it looks bad then replace it. I don't have COPs so I can't offer any real advise on them

I replaced both, and the stutter is gone. It was obvious that moisture had got down in there from when I cleaned my motor, but that was like 2 weeks ago. There was some rust on the ceramic and plug connector, but the tip of the plug looked fine. I may have been able to just replace the plug but I thought it was weird that there was such a long delay before the stutter. Maybe Ill try the cop on another cylinder to see if its bad. The one it was on was a PITA to get out with a bullitt intake, I actually had to take off the throttle body to get to it. Is there any way to test a COP without it on the car?

As long as the stutter is gone then the COP is ok.. you have the second most common cause of misfires ( water in the plug holes) bad COP, plug is second,,