i have a shifting dillema. please help me

romgolferman

Founding Member
Mar 24, 2001
St. Louis
i have a 2000gt 5spd. i just pulled the motor out and put new rod bearings and clutch in it. before i pulled the motor it would kick out of 3rd. and no its not the stop bolts. it was like the shifter wouldnt go all way into 3rd. when i got the motor done and put the new clutch in everything was good except it will barely go into 1st. it wont go into 3rd or 5th at all. its like the shifter isnt going far enough forward. its like im having the same problem i was before i pulled the motor just worse now. i have a pro50 shifter in it.

• Sponsors (?)

did you recently get the shifter? i have heard of instances where people have had the wrong shifter for the transmission and that could be causing your problem? :shrug: that would be my only guess but im no expert

Two things I can think of. Bad syncros or bent shift fork. Both will cause the issues you describe.

A bent or broken fork will not allow you to select a gear. The forks are 1-2, 3-4and 5-reverse. Generally if you break a fork you won't beable to select a the gears on that particular fork but if the shift rail fell apart also then you could have the overall failure you describe. Happened to me running an SRT-4.

Popping out of gear could likely be a bad syncronizer although a bent or inproperly alighed fork could cause that issue also. Since it was only happening in 3rd and not 4th which would coinside with that fork then I would deduce the syncro was bad.

Re kicking out of gear: If it's "not the stop bolts" then you're probably looking at an internal transmission issue (forks, synchros etc.)

Re not being able to engage gears: Double check clutch adjustment and quadrant adjuster operation. If clutch isn't being fully released, getting it into gear can be difficult or impossible.

I had a ripped boot and some crap fell into the shifter cup and made my trans pop out of 4th gear. I thought I needed a rebuilt 4th gear, but the shifter needed cleaning.

thanks for all the responses. im going to take the shifter back apart and see if there anything wrong in there. i really think it is a shifter issue. because it wasnt bad at all before i took out the tranny. i put it back in and have no 1st 3rd or 5th. the clutch is ingaging and disingaging good.