I hit a rock and my car won’t turnover!!

Emeaemil

Jun 8, 2022
Houston,Tx
Hey this is my first time on here but this website has given me some great information in the past about my car so I'm reaching out for some help! So let me start by saying I have a 2011 Chevy Malibu, yesterday I was driving going out 35mph on a backroad and there was a massive rock about the size of a football maybe with a little more height to it and I didn’t have time to avoid it or swerve because it was a two lane road and cars were on the other side so I went over it thinking my car would have enough space under it to not harm my car and it hit my undercarriage! Instantly my gas pedal stopped working so I pulled over to turn my car off and try to turn it back on and low and behold the car would not start! It cranks but is not fully turning over, I’ve found a similar question on here and seen many people say check fuses and a switch behind the tail light but since I have a 2011 I was told I wouldn’t have that switch, I also called a few mechanics because I also thought it could be a throttle cable issue and was told my car likely doesn’t have that either. I looked under the car for any leaks and there was nothing leaking. I even had to leave it over night on the side of the road and when I got it towed this morning still nothing leaked out. I began to think it was maybe a starter issue but the car is cranking just not fully starting so it’s a bit confusing to me as to what it could be. My engine light immediately came on after the hit but when the tow truck man scanned the codes nothing popped up.. any clue what this could be? I have pictures and a video of me attempting to start it.

• Sponsors (?)

Your going to have to lift it and check everything out. It will take a while, and you will need some help with wiggling wires. Somebody is going to start it while you look for loose something. First would be get under there and look at your starter wires, and wires under alternator area. You will get it, but your going to work. If you have a battery charger get it on there

The problem is it's a Chevy and not built Ford tough.
The solution is to get a mustang.
This is just an opinion and not a paid advertisement.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
The problem is it's a Chevy and not built Ford tough.
The solution is to get a mustang.
This is just an opinion and not a paid advertisement.
I recently read that the new Bronco has a serious recall after 22,000 motors had catastrophic engine failure. I don't know if it's true, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Ok, I'm not an expert so I'll tell you what I would do.
first look at the throttle body, you will have to take the intake tube off, is the throttle blade wide open? (I believe it will be 'drive by wire', no cable) TB needs to be replaced, if it's closed shoot some starting fluid in there, does it start up for a second? Fuel pump.
after that I'm not any help.

Hey this is my first time on here but this website has given me some great information in the past about my car so I'm reaching out for some help! So let me start by saying I have a 2011 Chevy Malibu, yesterday I was driving going out 35mph on a backroad and there was a massive rock about the size of a football maybe with a little more height to it and I didn’t have time to avoid it or swerve because it was a two lane road and cars were on the other side so I went over it thinking my car would have enough space under it to not harm my car and it hit my undercarriage! Instantly my gas pedal stopped working so I pulled over to turn my car off and try to turn it back on and low and behold the car would not start! It cranks but is not fully turning over, I’ve found a similar question on here and seen many people say check fuses and a switch behind the tail light but since I have a 2011 I was told I wouldn’t have that switch, I also called a few mechanics because I also thought it could be a throttle cable issue and was told my car likely doesn’t have that either. I looked under the car for any leaks and there was nothing leaking. I even had to leave it over night on the side of the road and when I got it towed this morning still nothing leaked out. I began to think it was maybe a starter issue but the car is cranking just not fully starting so it’s a bit confusing to me as to what it could be. My engine light immediately came on after the hit but when the tow truck man scanned the codes nothing popped up.. any clue what this could be? I have pictures and a video of me attempting to start it.
You more than likely broke a ground strap if everything you're saying here is accurate. Your car doesn't have a throttle cable, very few built after 2003 or so do.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
That’s a compliment that you are asking Chevy tech questions on a Mustang forum and why. Most of my Chevy friends still make found on road dead jokes. :rolleyes:

Can you better describe “Cranks but isn’t fully turning over” better?
I’d be inspecting everything under the car for rock damage along with ground straps. I’ve had a not-Ford fry the computer from a shorted to ground O2 sensor wire.
I’d also want to make sure the wires for the fuel pump then make sure it is functioning.
(This is since it cranks but does not start with no codes.) it sounds like you were looking for the impact sensing fuel pump shut off switch, right?
If it’s running to pressurize the system at startup, do you know how to check fuel pressure on a Malibu?
I’m surprised about no codes with the light while it was running.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user