I need all the FOX insite from the PRO's for building the right engine

Gofast12

Jun 6, 2011
San Diego, CA
FOX Lovers,

My plan is to purchase a FOX LX mustang. I'm going to tell you waht I want to do and give me the advice on what way i should go so it can be done right the first time. I want a daily driver car that can still handle having A/c but if not then it can taking out and maybe down the road adding a vortech supercharger but my main focus is on building it the way i want:

My goal is to get at least 300+ HP for what i want to do and since its a project build i want the engine to be complete for at least 5k.

Engine Block: Boss 302 Unless you now something better

TOP end Kit: maybe edelbrock or trick flow havent made a decision yet

Stroker Kit: Any recommendations? 331 is the plan nothing bigger

If your in the San diego, CA area any referrels, I already know about woodside automotive so who would be next.

How much would i be looking at spending when it comes to machine work, assembling the engine and install. Also how Much HP would i get for a set up llike that

• Sponsors (?)

research, its your best friend. also for a dd your plan is imo a little much.

you probably wont get a boss block a rotating assembly and heads for 5k. gaskets? fuel system? hardware?

you can get 300hp easy with just an hci swap or the trickflow kit on the stock block.

Just to throw out round numbers for you...I own a shop and am a Engine Builder

DART SHP based stroker shortblock, assembled (not a BOSS block fan) $4200
AFR 185 $1450
Holley Intake $600
Cam $325
Rockers $280
Timing chain, lifters, gaskets, pushrods $400
Oil Pan, pickup etc $380
30# inj $250
80mm MAF $300
Accufab Tb kit $260
Headers $200
Xpipe $170
Fuel pump $100
Clutch kit and bell housing $850
Dyno tune with chip $500
Build labor to make shortblock turn key $500
Engine swap depending on where you are $1000+

Your goal to have a race block foundation is a good one, I commend you for that however I think it is out of your range. It is easy to put $8,000 in the motor if your starting from scratch. I like the suggestion of others with the TFS kit, its a great start up kit and is very complete. As long as your motor is solid I'd look at that, then save for a shortblock down the road once you know if youll be adding boost.

Welcome to SN :nice:

Thanks guys for the insite. I'm still researching right now and instead of the BOSS block I seen an even better option. Tell me what you guys think about this (Rick91GT) please shine some light on this since you own a shop.

http://www.dssracing.com/product_p/lvl 20 302 (block link)
http://www.dssracing.com/331_X5_rotating_kit_p/ra331x5.htm (stroker link)

On dssracing.com they have a block for $925 and a 331 stroker kit for $1,699.95throw in the top end kit like you guys said and the engine would be complete. thats about 5-6 grand on parts right there. Rick91GT how much would that be to assemble it at your shop if i buy all the parts. I plan on doing something like that tell me what you guys think, i should still be able to get 300+ HP or for that exact set up it might be more than 300+ you guys tell me what you think? Can it still be a daily driver with that set up

Thanks guys for the insite. I'm still researching right now and instead of the BOSS block I seen an even better option. Tell me what you guys think about this (Rick91GT) please shine some light on this since you own a shop.

http://www.dssracing.com/product_p/lvl 20 302 (block link)
D.S.S. Rotating kit (stroker link)

On dssracing.com they have a block for $925 and a 331 stroker kit for $1,699.95throw in the top end kit like you guys said and the engine would be complete. thats about 5-6 grand on parts right there. Rick91GT how much would that be to assemble it at your shop if i buy all the parts. I plan on doing something like that tell me what you guys think, i should still be able to get 300+ HP or for that exact set up it might be more than 300+ you guys tell me what you think? Can it still be a daily driver with that set up

I personally dont feel the "Level X" DSS blocks are worth the money, and I prefer to use name brand internals instead of the private lable stuff for that price. I know who DSS uses...

A stock block stroker from me with forged internals runs about $2500 assembled, blueprinted...If your interested in a firm quote shoot me an email [email protected]

As far as power production Ive got 331's with good H/C/I that make 360RWHP+....100% streetable, daily drivers.. The TFS kit on top of stroker is a good choice for budget oriented power, you will be very happy. I prefer to order the kit with the Stage II cam and the TFS Track Heat intake for a combo like that.

Hope that helps...

On some levels the boss block is a good idea, and in some ways it isn't. I see it as a pretty big waste if 300wheel is all you're shooting for as a stock block will hold that all day for 1/10th the price. But if youve got bigger plans (like we all do) then it's better to get it and not have to worry about it. DSS blocks are factory blocks that have been seasoned and machined to make them a bit stronger. They're strong blocks don't get me wrong, but not always what they're cracked up to be. Close friend of mine is running 9.9xs on a DSS lvl 20 306 block and a 300 shot so by no means are they terrible. From what I've seen you'd be better off going stock block with good internals from Rick or woody and as long as you don't plan to get into block splitting territory, you won't have much to worry about.
At this point, your budget is the issue.