I NEED HELP BUYING A TACH...

6FIVE_STANG

Jul 2, 2006
San Jose, CA
Ok, I know I want to buy the autometer sport comp monster tach but, I don't know if I should get, the 8 or 10 RPM tach? The reason I ask is because I dount want to get something that I can't even get close to reaching. I plan to have a pumped up 289 so my question is, where do most 289's top out(red line)?

• Sponsors (?)

My dad built a '62 Chevy 327 that could reach the 10K mark, but it had a mallory ignition to keep the points from floating. It had the double hump heads that he had some work to keep the valves from floating. But unfortunatelythe rocker arm studs would work their way out as it ran. It seems 13:1 compression and 10,000 rpm are pretty tough on a motor. The moral of the story is that 10,000 K is reachable but will require mega-buck motors. If your engine is stock expect red line to be 5000-6000K range.

I plan to have a pumped up 289 so my question is, where do most 289's top out(red line)?

Some people like to tell stories about how they beat the hell out of some over-carbed "budget" 289 and spun 8000, 9000, or even 10,000rpm on the stock rotating assembly, and iron heads on their way to mid 11s in a street Ford. All of those story pieces are plausible, but not together.

Truth is that you probably wouldn't want to drive a 289 that kept making power all the way to even 7000. In that case, you still wouldn't have maxed out an 8000 rpm tach.