I need some SERIOUS help...

Mar 31, 2005
hey guys,
I've been doin the aod-e to t-5 swap for a full day and a half now and now im just coming up on all of my problems at once... id love to have a response to work with by tomorrow morning since im just beat now and have to get some sleep. first of all, are the crossmembers and trans mounts for the aod-e and the t-5 the same or different? i cant get it to be far enough forward to mount to the back of my t-5... if they are the same, what's happening?? also, what part of the trans tunnel has to be notched out?? i was told only a little bit, but i need to notch out about 3/4" in the front about 3 inches wide to clear the entire base of the pro 5.0 shifter. i'm also not sure where to fill the t-5, i filled t from a "fill plug" or so im told but as son as the tranny was tilted back a bit, it came pouring, AND I MEAN POURING out the back... i hope these questions will help me finish up the job tomorrow, and i would rather a response for tomorrow AM, but any time tomorrow is better than never, right?? thanks, kyle

• Sponsors (?)

AOD cross member and exhaust hanger are different. You might be able to get away with grinding the cross member,
but the exhaust hanger will interfere with the VSS on the T5.click on link for more info.
copied from http://wcfords.com/articles/tech/t5swap/t5swap.html

plug location
t-5fillerpluglocation.jpg

Attachments

• t-5fillerpluglocation.jpg
    t-5fillerpluglocation.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 50
the crossmember is pretty much the same except for the exhaust hanger, not a big deal if you have a light O/R pipe.

what you can do to get it all in and bolted is start the bolts that hold the crossmember to the trans but dont tighten them. then get the crossmember inplace and tighten all the bolts.

the very front of the trans tunnel needs to be notched out a bit.

also its normal for the fluid to come out the back of the trans like that, when you have the D/S installed that should not happen, theres little rubber seal that when the D/S is in place it seals that up.

the easiest way to fill the trans is just pour the ATF right into the shifter hole (with the shifter removed of coarse). its a good idea to remove the fill plug and then just pour in the 2.7 quarts and it should start seeping out of the fill plug. this way you dont overfill it.

thanks a lot guys, the only thing that throws me off now, is what holes have to be drilled in the trans tunnel? if i notch out the front of the tunnel to clear the rectanguar base plate, then there are no holes for the shifter, except if they are talking about the hole sfor the rubber weather shield? otherwise, i should be all set today to finish it up, and fire it up!!!