I ruined my 92 A4LD transmssion, let's try this install again

red390gt

Nov 15, 2004
CT
I tried this once already and destroyed a good transmssion. :damnit: :bang: I think when TRIED to install my automatic transmssion (A4LD) into my 92 Mustang I screwed up, I'm guessing I didn't properly seat the torque converter into the tranmission so as a result the torque converter was pressing against the transmssion input shaft area rather than being seated into it. As soon as I started the car I heard a strange wining sound. I'm sure it was a metal on metal noise made by the torque converter rear base hitting the area around the transmssion input shaft. :notnice: So I ruined that transmssion and bought another.

Help me do this correctly before I end up with a collection of bad transmssions :nono: (ruined by me).

How do I :
1-Correctly get the torque converter seated into the transmssion? :shrug:
2-Get the bolts between the flex plate and torque converter on without messing up the alignemnt of the torque converter into the transmssion? it seems if I start tightening the bolts it pulls the torque converter forward and I'm afaraid it will ruin this tranmssion too if I do this wrong.

• Sponsors (?)

Put in a couple of bellhousing bolts before trying to tighten the torque converter to the flywheel. As for as getting the torque convertor on the shaft right you can usually feel it when it engauges properly, then you just take it slow and steady raising the tranny into place making sure it doesn't slip off.