I Think I'm Having Back Pressure Issue

Antfrank

Mar 20, 2017
so I recently changed my mid pipe from the o/r h pipe unknown brand to a o/r x pipe bassani. After that happened now basically there seems to be a back pressure issue where when stepping on gas it sounds like it's holding all the air in. I can't really explain cause I'm new to cars but can't seem to figure out what can cause this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Hmm if I had to guess I would say you have an exhaust leak at the header flanges. They can be a pain to seal up 100%. A very small leak can be loud when you step on it. I had to put washers under the nuts on mine to get it to properly seal.

An offroad pipe is nothing but a empty pipe - no baffles, no converters, noting to obstruct the flow of exhaust. Therefore unless something got stuck in the pipe, there is nothing to block the flow of exhaust gases.

Cut a 1"x6" streamer of paper and tape it to the top of the outlet of each tail pipe so that the long end of the streamer is like the tail of a kite.. Start the car and let it idle; observe that both streamers flutter in a similar manner and have about the same amount of flutter. That tells you that the exhaust system does not have an obstruction in one side.

Did you remember to plug the O2 sensors back in? Did you run the engine codes?

Really shouldn't be a difference in flow between the two off-road pipes. H-pipes tend to product more low end torque, while X-pipes produce higher end HP. You could just be feeling the shift in the torque to higher RPM.