Ideas on fixing on my fuel gauge, 65 mustang

iskwezm

10 Year Member
May 24, 2005
Rowland Heights,California
Little background. Years back i put the grey face overlays on and my fule guage wasnt centered so it grounded out on the guage cluster housing. It smoke the instrument voltage regulator. I replaced it but it still doenst work. The tank was replaced along with a new sender a while back. The sender reads the correct ohms when moving the float/arm. The guage will peg full if i ground the sender wire. If I unscrew the cluster from the dash and pull it away, the guage will work. Theres no broken or loose wires.It seems to be grounding through the screw into the metal.Its been about 5 years and i think its time to see whats in the tank.

any ideas what to look for?

• Sponsors (?)

I had the same problem. Thinking the regulator was shorting internally I replaced it with a new one. No change. I never did figure out the root cause.

I ended up isolating the regulator with a piece of plastic under it and a stepped plastic washer between it and the screw. I drilled the mounting hole in the regulator to match the small diameter of the stepped washer so it would hold the regulator in place while completely insulating if from the instrument panel and ground. After that all guages worked.

I had the same problem. Thinking the regulator was shorting internally I replaced it with a new one. No change. I never did figure out the root cause.

I ended up isolating the regulator with a piece of plastic under it and a stepped plastic washer between it and the screw. I drilled the mounting hole in the regulator to match the small diameter of the stepped washer so it would hold the regulator in place while completely insulating if from the instrument panel and ground. After that all guages worked.
thanks, i'll try that.Thats what it seems like.

You ever get your car done?