Idle Drops And Recovers. Especially In Reverse.

cshel

Oct 19, 2014
My Stang: 94 GT convertible. 58k. Mods: shifter, C&L intake, BBK 65mm throttle body, OR h-pipe.

Problem: starts well, shifts well. I replaced the IAC with Motorcraft, as nothing else did the job right. The TPS was replaced with BWD part, as I cannot find a FORD part. When I am in reverse and come to a stop, the idle drops below 500, but then recovers. It will do this a little less noticeable in forward gears. Otherwise, everything works well. I do notice that when I come to a stop, the engine will attempt to drop idle, but it pulls back to the proper idle speed and will run smoothly. Is this normal, or do I have something that needs attention? This car is quite nice for it's age. Garage kept and never driven in the rain. All the hoses look new. No dry rot. I changed the IAC, as it was sticking. The TPS was changed at the same time. The first TPS was from NAPA: ECHLIN. The idle would not go below 1k with that one. Wondering if what is happening now still due to TPS. Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds normal to me. There is bound to be a slight change in rpms as load is applied. The IAC valve is what makes the air adjustment for the load change. You probably see the same thing happening as the A/C cycles.