Idle/ Intake updates...............

from6to8

There's suction so I used that end O_O
15 Year Member
Sep 2, 2012
Today I reset the idle using just the stop screw. I turned the Idle bypass screw clockwise till it stopped and backed off the stop screw until it barely touched the base of the stop. I know the instructions say .10 on the feeler gauge then about 1 1/2 turns the opposite direction. I then unplugged the IAC and started the car, having my son play with throttle until I got back in front of car. I first tried turning the Idle bypass screw in increments to see it it helped keep the car running and it didnt. When I got to 2 full turns it still didnt keep car running so I had turned it back clockwise till it stopped/closed. I then had to turn the stop screw in tiny increments till the car would stay running, then I turned back in small increments back to get it to where it would just run,barely, with IAC unplugged. I then turned the car off leaving it switched on and checked the tps and it was at .98 so it was fine. I waited about 10 minutes then plugged back in IAC and went for a drive.
I really didnt notice any advantages to having the idle bypass screw opened up and even seems the car now fires better stronger; fires up faster.
It seemed to make some difference with having the Idle bypass screw completely closed. Rpm's still seemed to move about the same between gears. It seems as if the rpm's since I have done all the up to date maintenance, it seems as the car tachs up fast but it just doesnt seem too torqy and mainly down low. NOw if I'm in say 2nd gear and have the rpm's about 2-3 the car is much much stronger. I guess that's just the powerband for that performer rpm 2 cause I think it power comes on about 2500-3k. I wonder if a new, up to date tune would add any power/torque down low. Remember I have a tune from 05 and was done with an autologic 2000 chip which no one does anymore? I guess an intake more suited for my combo would have been the best overall solution but I swear I would hate to take that intake off and put another on. I also called a few tuning places as well as edelbrock and trick flow and talked to the Techs. They all pretty much said with the performer 2 it should work well and not be an issue of being too big.

It seemed to make some difference with having the Idle bypass screw completely closed. Rpm's still seemed to move about the same between gears. It seems as if the rpm's since I have done all the up to date maintenance, it seems as the car tachs up fast but it just doesnt seem too torqy and mainly down low. NOw if I'm in say 2nd gear and have the rpm's about 2-3 the car is much much stronger. I guess that's just the powerband for that performer rpm 2 cause I think it power comes on about 2500-3k. I wonder if a new, up to date tune would add any power/torque down low. Remember I have a tune from 05 and was done with an autologic 2000 chip which no one does anymore? I guess an intake more suited for my combo would have been the best overall solution but I swear I would hate to take that intake off and put another on. I also called a few tuning places as well as edelbrock and trick flow and talked to the Techs. They all pretty much said with the performer 2 it should work well and not be an issue of being too big.

• Sponsors (?)