Idle Surge

JKnight79

Jun 20, 2016
Auburn, AL
So I need a little help with my 95 5.0. I've read a good bit on here about this being a common issue. Engine started idleing up and down all of a sudden and now is hard to start and stalls when I stop. I started with the iac valve, replaced it, cleaned maf no go. Then checked my vacuum lines. Found a couple broken fixed those, things got a little better but still surges. The vac line coming from under the upper intake going to the canister purge valve is sucking itself in. Also when I turn on Ac things seem to stabilize. Have also noticed some fuel vapor in the cabin today. Could the canister purge valve be my culprit? Or do I need to keep looking? Any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. It includes how to dump the computer codes quickly and simply as one of the first steps. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 200,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.

Reactions: 1 user
So after replacing the parts that were throwing codes I still was no where. Replaced all the vacuum lines no go, by accident I left the vac line off my bbk adj fuel pressure regulator and started it up idled great but had fuel dumping out the vac line... So guess I found my issue geez

So after replacing the parts that were throwing codes I still was no where. Replaced all the vacuum lines no go, by accident I left the vac line off my bbk adj fuel pressure regulator and started it up idled great but had fuel dumping out the vac line... So guess I found my issue geez

See item #17 on the first page of the Surging Idle Checklist.
Use the checklist, do all of the steps and you can find and fix the problem simply and easily.

Reactions: 1 user