ignition box ?'s

• Sponsors (?)

I've got a 6al, and unless your stock ignition is in poor condition, you won't notice much (if any) gain from installing a box. The biggest benefit for me was the rev limiter and now the ability to power shift. It's a lot more fun to beat on now! :rlaugh:

Scott

How does the ignition box allow you to powershift? Just because it gives a soft stop to the revs?

:nice: That's exactly why. Since it alternates which cylinders do and don't fire, it prevents one cylinder from loading up on fuel. Also, since it doesn't cut fuel, there's no risk of going lean.

One side note: I don't have nitrous, but apparently it's a bad idea to use a rev limiter of any kind on a sprayed engine, unless you have a window switch to cut the juice before the engine hits the limiter. That's what I've been told, just parroting it back for someone to poke a stick at. :shrug:

Scott

:nice: That's exactly why. Since it alternates which cylinders do and don't fire, it prevents one cylinder from loading up on fuel. Also, since it doesn't cut fuel, there's no risk of going lean.

One side note: I don't have nitrous, but apparently it's a bad idea to use a rev limiter of any kind on a sprayed engine, unless you have a window switch to cut the juice before the engine hits the limiter. That's what I've been told, just parroting it back for someone to poke a stick at. :shrug:

Scott

It may prevent it…but it wont eliminate it, especially at 6000+rpm on a high horsepower engine. There is a danger involved, which is why most factory vehicles have a hard fuel cut…which incidentally cut's all fuel to the appropriate cylinders thus having no risk of going lean. No fuel = no combustion. :nice:

Millhouse is right. No fuel at all does not equal lean. It's actually generally not all that harmful (relatively speaking) to bounce off the stock limiter (not for a prolonged period however).

I have had a Digital6+ (before the tweecer for the n2o), and a 6al. I like them both. I could feel it when my 6al died up top.

I have never needed a ign. box to powershift. If you do it right the rpm's do not move but 1-2hundred rpm. If your hitting the rev limiter while powershifting...you need to stop powershifting that high and practice at a lower rpm. Generally at stock or mild bolt on 5.0 is going to be done at 5,000 - 5,500 rpm...no need to hit the redline/limiter.