Engine Ignition boxes

91GTstroked

15 Year Member
Jun 14, 2007
Hey guys,

I'm looking at replacing my msd 6a ignition box. Does crane still offer a ignition box? Is it now called FAST? I can't seem to find any Crane or part number for our cars.

Any other good plug and play ignition boxes?

• Sponsors (?)

In most cases the stock efi ignition is more than enough, maybe just eliminate the box all together.
A couple potential problems. I'm running Autometer rpm tach and speedometer. The msd box has a wire for tach.

Also when I removed the msd box, there is discolored a surface looking rust on fender. The msd box hides it. Unfortunately, I'm not fixing that at this time. But removing the box and seeing that is a huge eye sore.

Attachments

• IMG_20200406_204054280.jpg
    IMG_20200406_204054280.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 91
My Crane HI-6 is 25 years old. Still works.
You have to buy the MSD harness adapter kit separately, which you may already have.

The Fireball HI-6 replaced it. eBay has sone.
Awesome thanks. I've heard great things about Crane. Are they all universal? I do have the msd adapter.

This it?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Crane is Crane Cams from Daytona Beach. they moved to Mississippi. They're still around, just don't do electronics anymore.
Crane Electronics became FAST, or something like that.
I think they're all pretty much the same interfaces with different electronics inside the box.
My Google-Fu is strong.....
See p.12 of the following manual.
Ford TFI Coil Harness PN 8874
Thanks for the help. I have think you're right, Crane is now Fast. Still some labeled Crane on eBay.

I ended up buying a crane fireball hi-6r on eBay. Not sure when they stopped making them and had fast take over?

It's new in box, paid around 130. Good deal if it checks out.

At what point does an ignition box become an advantage? My car came with a 6AL but I had to remove it when it became problematic. I've read on here several times that the stock setup is more than enough in most applications.

At what point does an ignition box become an advantage? My car came with a 6AL but I had to remove it when it became problematic. I've read on here several times that the stock setup is more than enough in most applications.
It generally is. I think I'd actually remove them completely, if my car wasn't missing paint and having surface rust right behind where I have it mounted. I have it on the drivers side fender where the battery normally is. Unless I put the battery back in the engine bay.

The cables were long enough on mine to put it inside the driver side kick panel. No mounting required. Getting it out of the hot engine compartment can only be good for it to last. the supercharger is where the battery was. The battery is moved to the passenger side, mounting nuts for tray are already there for the 4 cyl engines.

The cables were long enough on mine to put it inside the driver side kick panel. No mounting required. Getting it out of the hot engine compartment can only be good for it to last. the supercharger is where the battery was. The battery is moved to the passenger side, mounting nuts for tray are already there for the 4 cyl engines.
I honestly don't like the battery in the trunk. Yes it cleans up the engine bay, but it's not a race car either.

• Agree