Ignition Coil..MSD or other?

latham83

Jul 24, 2003
Hey my stock coils got 165 grand on her and its probably cheap insurance to buy a new one...with all the freakin mods thats in my car from this winter...
I do have a MSD ignition 6AL and also a ministarter....
now i know msd has the TFI coil that bolts up and connects exactly like the stock coil..and its not badly priced..BUT i heard it hums..like bad...that doesnt seem too good? that might be annoying? Can i buy a dif. coil other than MSD and run it with the ignition i have? will that cause any problems...
what other coils do u reccomend i buy...i dont need nething crazy..just better than stock..and id rather have it just bolt right up and use the existing harness...whats the best?

• Sponsors (?)

I plan on getting the same one. I've never heard anything about one humming or the such.....and even if it did, will you really hear it over your exhuast? I think not. I would not mix brand myself. I have the same box as you, and will not put anything other than the MSD coil along with it.....

I have the MSD coil, I don't know about hum or anything. The hum is caused by electrical interfieriance, so as long as your connected right, this shouldn't be a problem.

I also have the Accel module on the distributer, suposed to increase dwell for a hotter sharper spark.

I use Performance Distributor's Screamin' Demon coil and their module upgrade. Works great.

sdcoil2.jpg

dynamod.jpg

MSD coils are notorious for humming, not all but quite a few do... MSD advsises that mounting them on rubber isolators can help a bit but that's not guaranteed to help much. Mine was so loud I could hear it over my exhaust and I ended up going back to stock. Personally, I'd try another brand as it's very annoying on a daily driver.

I've had two full ign kits on my car.

First one was an Accel 300+ w/ the coil and the box was faulty and the car had a bad misfire I couldn't get rid of. Their coil HUMMED. So Summitt took the Accel stuff back, and in my letter I asked to exchange for an MSD 6AL, and the MSD TFI coil instead.. as I wasnt happy that the Accel stuff was new and messed up..

It's too bad because I liked the way it installed and I liked the dip switch/rev limiter setup. :( But if I have bad luck with a new product i'm trying once.. i'll go back to what has always worked.

Didnt put the MSD box in yet, but the MSD coil HUMMED like a sumbitch, even with rubber between it and the spot it bolts up to. My stock coil only had like 30000 miles on it cause its off a buddies low mile car, and they say that the stock IGN is good for like 350 N/A HP anyways as long as its in good working order. So, I gave the MSD coil to my buddy for his high mile 86 GT and will just use the 6AL with my stock coil.

But they all buzzed/hummed.