• Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-

Ignition Coil Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter 90lxwhite
  • Start date Start date Nov 18, 2013

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
3,310
374
134
Between the Red and Rio
Nov 18, 2013
#1
  • Nov 18, 2013
  • #1
Hey fellas whats going on? I have a couple 302 mustangs but the wife has an 09 expedition and the coils keep going bad. They've all been changed about a yr ago and now the new ones are starting to go out. Anyone know what causes premature coil failure?
 

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
3,310
374
134
Between the Red and Rio
Nov 19, 2013
#2
  • Nov 19, 2013
  • #2
Not much action on these boards
 

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
3,310
374
134
Between the Red and Rio
Nov 19, 2013
#3
  • Nov 19, 2013
  • #3
 
M

MidnightBlk98GT

Active Member
Apr 20, 2004
45
6
29
FL
Nov 20, 2013
#4
  • Nov 20, 2013
  • #4
When was the last time the plugs/wires were replaced? How are the connectors looking? Any arcing or "dark marks"on the connectiors? Is the computer throwing a code? Any diagnostics performed? Engine hesitation/misfiring? These are just some of the questions I can immediatly think of (I keep adding more the longer I leave this post open).

Hope that this "sparks" others to comment on this board. (Sorry but I had to do it.)
 

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
3,310
374
134
Between the Red and Rio
Nov 20, 2013
#5
  • Nov 20, 2013
  • #5
The codes that come up are always cop related. Cel light is on now but haven't ran the code this time yet to see which coil it is. I have a miss when accelerating on the hwy w light throttle and I have to take it out of OD to get it to smoothe out. It's a pretty violent shake. It does it whether cel is on or not. The front plugs are new but I need to change the rear still. But the last time I had to replace a new coil was one that was on a new plug
 

jcgafford

10 Year Member
Jan 7, 2012
1,114
95
104
Adrian, MI
Nov 20, 2013
#6
  • Nov 20, 2013
  • #6
i read on one of the explorer forums about those coils. something about the springs in the wiring arcing and frying stuff. it was a while ago so i don't recall most of it. sounds like a tune up is needed and codes cleared before delving any deeper here.
 

jcgafford

10 Year Member
Jan 7, 2012
1,114
95
104
Adrian, MI
Nov 20, 2013
#7
  • Nov 20, 2013
  • #7
yup it was the screw down type wiresets that have a spring resting ontop of the spark plugs. guess it has given enough people a problem to have some trouble shooting threads about it.
 

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
3,310
374
134
Between the Red and Rio
Nov 20, 2013
#8
  • Nov 20, 2013
  • #8
I hate em. Also the factory plugs are a 2 piece and notorious for breaking when changing plugs. A-holes should've recalled em
 

jcgafford

10 Year Member
Jan 7, 2012
1,114
95
104
Adrian, MI
Nov 20, 2013
#9
  • Nov 20, 2013
  • #9
Yup. my wifes exploder has them and they were a pain to do a tune up with.
 
M

MidnightBlk98GT

Active Member
Apr 20, 2004
45
6
29
FL
Nov 21, 2013
#10
  • Nov 21, 2013
  • #10
Just performed a little search and WOW, what at PITA!! Can't believe that Ford issued a TSB for 2-piece plug removal! I don't have any 3 valve engines in the stable but I'm just amazed at some of the problems that have been identified. I'm in total agreement with 90lxwhite; they should have recalled them.
 
Reactions: 90lxwhite
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

M
2001 cobra ignition timing off
  • Mike3
  • Jul 13, 2026
  • SVT Tech Forum
Replies
9
Views
300
SVT Tech Forum Aug 2, 2026
Mike3
M
8
Did I fry something messing with my ignition?
  • 85gtCOBRA
  • Oct 18, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
30
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Nov 15, 2025
85gtCOBRA
8
R
Engine Ignition issue test light question
  • Rick1992
  • May 29, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
18
Views
733
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 30, 2025
Rick1992
R
B
Electrical Why does my fox body keep frying eecs
  • brandyn200
  • Jun 20, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
396
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 25, 2026
AeroCoupe
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
460
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?