Ignition Switch Problems - Need Help

cdurbin

5 Year Member
Jul 27, 2012
North Charleston, SC
I changed out my ignition switch this past weekend because the old one was about to give out.
My problem now is that the key cylinder doesn't feel like it has any resistance. When I start the car and let off the key it doesn't kick back far enough. I have to move it back just a little to get my radio and electrical stuff to work. Is the new switch a POS or is it something else? This is my daily driver so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

SWITCH.jpg

What is the circled bracket for/do?

Is it part of the ignition switch or is it a separate piece that's bolted on top of the ignition switch?

It's been a few months since I had my steering column off and was looking at this, but from what I remember everything was a single piece. I would think it's just a mounting bracket that gives the head of the bolt something better to hold the switch in place instead of the head of the bolt compressing the plastic housing of the ignition switch.

Is it part of the ignition switch or is it a separate piece that's bolted on top of the ignition switch?

It's been a few months since I had my steering column off and was looking at this, but from what I remember everything was a single piece. I would think it's just a mounting bracket that gives the head of the bolt something better to hold the switch in place instead of the head of the bolt compressing the plastic housing of the ignition switch.

It's a separate piece that kind of sits on top of the switch. The screws just pass through it. I was just curious if it had any specific purpose.
I'm hoping this switch will hold out until my new one gets here.

Interesting. I don't remember mine having that additional piece. I wondered if maybe it provided some kind of ground, but you would think the ignition switch itself has a ground wire as part of the plug. Maybe it's just to give the bolt head something to compress again in order to hold the switch onto the column without breaking the plastic housing.

Interesting. I don't remember mine having that additional piece. I wondered if maybe it provided some kind of ground, but you would think the ignition switch itself has a ground wire as part of the plug. Maybe it's just to give the bolt head something to compress again in order to hold the switch onto the column without breaking the plastic housing.

I've google searched switch installation pictures and most I found don't show that piece. That's why I wondered if it even does anything. It doesn't hook to anything but I put it back on there regardless.