• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Ignition switch

  • Thread starter Thread starter steel1212
  • Start date Start date Jul 3, 2009
S

steel1212

Active Member
Jun 24, 2004
1,180
0
36
Frankfort, Ky
Jul 3, 2009
#1
  • Jul 3, 2009
  • #1


Ok I can't figure this thing out and its not like there are a lot of wires to work with. The picture above is what I was sold and all I can find but not what I took out of my 65. What I took out of my 65 only had the 3 pin not the extra one on the outside of where the boot goes like this one. I was told just to plug the rubber boot with the wires back up, screw the accessory wires to the center terminal on the outside of the boot and it should work fine. I did that and nothing. Now I have it hanging below the dash so I can mess with it, does it need to be in the dash for grounding or anything I'm not thinking of?
 
2

2+2GT

10 Year Member
Apr 25, 2009
3,333
10
79
Southeastern Pennsylvania
Jul 3, 2009
#2
  • Jul 3, 2009
  • #2
steel1212 said:
Ok I can't figure this thing out and its not like there are a lot of wires to work with. The picture above is what I was sold and all I can find but not what I took out of my 65. What I took out of my 65 only had the 3 pin not the extra one on the outside of where the boot goes like this one. I was told just to plug the rubber boot with the wires back up, screw the accessory wires to the center terminal on the outside of the boot and it should work fine. I did that and nothing. Now I have it hanging below the dash so I can mess with it, does it need to be in the dash for grounding or anything I'm not thinking of?
Click to expand...

No grounding is required. Is your plug getting proper contact?

 
S

steel1212

Active Member
Jun 24, 2004
1,180
0
36
Frankfort, Ky
Jul 3, 2009
#3
  • Jul 3, 2009
  • #3
not 100% sure. The gauges aren't moving now when I go to on or accessory now though.
 
S

steel1212

Active Member
Jun 24, 2004
1,180
0
36
Frankfort, Ky
Jul 3, 2009
#4
  • Jul 3, 2009
  • #4
Also, I doubt it has anything to do with it but I have a blown 7.5 amp dome light fuse, JFYI.
 

Tim65GT

Active Member
Feb 24, 2004
1,149
2
39
West Texas
Jul 3, 2009
#5
  • Jul 3, 2009
  • #5
Get a test light and start with the battery input at the plug. If good, plug it up, turn it on and check ignition out at the coil. If no test light, then something is not right with the plug or switch.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

T
Electrical Brown Connector #31
  • ta66
  • Jul 26, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
159
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 30, 2026
ta66
T
Alternator not charging
  • SchwarzStock
  • Jul 6, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
171
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 19, 2026
SchwarzStock
B
Electrical Why does my fox body keep frying eecs
  • brandyn200
  • Jun 20, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
392
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 25, 2026
AeroCoupe
M
67 Mustang Ignition Switch Wiring Diagram needed
  • Michaelell
  • Sep 14, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
469
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jan 3, 2026
Michaelell
M
Resolved Wiring electric fan
  • cbac89
  • Aug 29, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
168
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
cbac89
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?