• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Engine Ignition Timing Issues 1985 Fox

  • Thread starter Thread starter Motorsport71
  • Start date Start date Jun 3, 2020
  • Tags Tags
    advance runs rough timing

Motorsport71

Member
Jun 3, 2020
10
3
13
Pa
Jun 3, 2020
#1
  • Jun 3, 2020
  • #1
So here's what i got:

1985 Mustang, engine from Summit (Blueprint Engines), Holley 4160 carb, rebuilt Metric AOD with 2400 stall converter, 8.8 rear with 3.73's. I got the car on the road last summer with the 'original' engine but found it was wore out so i never messed with the timing. Now that I've put my new engine in i am having timing issues. Here's what I've done:

Timing is set as the H.O. that Blueprint Engines specified.

I took out the spout, set the base timing to 14. It barely runs. I turned off the car and reinstalled the spout. I still have no advance and the car runs really, really bad. Pretty sure i had a 'poof' from the carb.

The car originally had the TBI but i removed it and replaced with a dual plane intake and carb.

I tried a new TFI module i had for the heck of it but it didn't fix the problem (obviously).

When i was setting the timing again i also tried again using a wire jumper to make sure the spout wasn't bad.

Is the fact the car is an automatic with that old TBI have the computer confused by chance?
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,047
10,666
213
polk county florida
Jun 3, 2020
#2
  • Jun 3, 2020
  • #2
I think it will not run correctly with a carb and the tbi ignition components, that is a best guess,
 

Motorsport71

Member
Jun 3, 2020
10
3
13
Pa
Jun 3, 2020
#3
  • Jun 3, 2020
  • #3
Thanks, I've been thinking that but wanted a second opinion per-se. Guess I'll grab a gm one wire setup.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

2
Running very very rich
  • 2esoteric
  • Oct 31, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
414
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Oct 31, 2025
Noobz347
B
Engine Another no start after washing engine bay
  • bruno
  • Apr 26, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
874
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 7, 2026
AeroCoupe
B
Electrical Why does my fox body keep frying eecs
  • brandyn200
  • Jun 20, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
379
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 25, 2026
AeroCoupe
F
Fox 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 A9L – Engine suddenly shuts off but immediately restarts when key turned
  • FishermansFriend
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
517
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
General karthief
I
98 Mustang GT dying
  • ItsMason
  • May 14, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
190
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jun 25, 2026
lenzgt
L
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?