• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Ignition timing question

  • Thread starter Thread starter a_k
  • Start date Start date May 16, 2006

a_k

New Member
Nov 12, 2004
170
0
0
Saratoga NY
May 16, 2006
#1
  • May 16, 2006
  • #1
Hey I had a quick question. I bought an msd 6al ignition box, distributor, and coil. With my new cam it says my timing needs to be set a 6 degrees BTDC. I was wondering how that works do i just set it to 6 degrees BTDC on the timing marker and call it a day or is the timing adjusted in the computer. I was just wondering if the computer will try to adjust it or how I need to set this up. Thanks!
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
May 16, 2006
#2
  • May 16, 2006
  • #2
The computer has no idea where your timing is set at - that's why us bumping it has an affect.

Interesting that the cam dictates ignition timing. I have some thoughts but will keep 'em to myself since I dont know the story.

Good luck.
 

divit250r

Member
Mar 31, 2005
314
0
16
Columbia City, IN
May 17, 2006
#3
  • May 17, 2006
  • #3
Are you sure the cam card is not spelling out the cam / valve timing instead of ignition timing? I don't think cam manufacturer's normally spec out the ignition timing, do they?

Scott
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
May 17, 2006
#4
  • May 17, 2006
  • #4
Scott, you are very much getting into what I was thinking (but didnt want to say for fear of being rude). The cam card might have the specs for advancement/retarding for PV clearance issues, not ignition timing.
 

a_k

New Member
Nov 12, 2004
170
0
0
Saratoga NY
May 17, 2006
#5
  • May 17, 2006
  • #5
yeah im an idiot. lol
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
May 18, 2006
#6
  • May 18, 2006
  • #6
Not at all A_K. It's an easy thing to miss, and the only way anyone could think you an idiot is if you hadnt asked and something happened.
 

divit250r

Member
Mar 31, 2005
314
0
16
Columbia City, IN
May 19, 2006
#7
  • May 19, 2006
  • #7
Sorry if I came across that way, but I wasn't saying you were an idiot or anything. I just remember working on a few different BBF's with my dad and that the card was a little confusing on what it was telling you. Again, sorry if I came off as being a jerk. I've learned a lot here in the short time I've been on, :SNSign: is a great place! Good luck with your new cam!!

Scott
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

1
Crank no start on a turbo and cammed pushrod 5.0
  • 1630stri
  • Sep 2, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
2
Views
140
Digital Self-tuning Forum Sep 16, 2026
Qtrhrse23
F
Fox 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 A9L – Engine suddenly shuts off but immediately restarts when key turned
  • FishermansFriend
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
542
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
General karthief
G
Help with initial Microsquirt ignition setting
  • germain101
  • Nov 13, 2025
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
3
Views
673
Digital Self-tuning Forum Nov 15, 2025
Mustang5L5
L
5.4 4v base ignition timing table help.
  • leoleo
  • Aug 16, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
1
Views
118
Digital Self-tuning Forum Aug 17, 2026
MustangBetts
M
K
Resolved Weird sound coming from a freshly rebuilt 5.0L
  • karhoot
  • Jun 24, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
296
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 27, 2026
Mac131
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?