Ignition wire replacement

megawatt56

Aug 10, 2008
any tips on how to change the plug wires on my 99 V6 ? at first glance it looks challenging, (no room to get at ones that go behind engine), and my mechanic wants $130 to do it

• Sponsors (?)

Nah, it's easy! There are no parts that need to be removed for the job.

First lay out the new wires out on a table, and one by one pull one of the old wires off and match it's length to the corresponding new one. The wires just pull off at both the plug end and the coil end- just grab the rubber boot and twist a little until it pops off. Pay attention to the routing from the coil to the spark plug. most of the wires have clips that hold them apart.

The big thing is to make sure that each post on the coil gets reconnected to the same spark plug that it was before. Doing the wires one at a time makes that easy.

How long has it been since the plugs were gapped or changed?

Thanks for the help. I had the basics down, but hose Wires that go behind the Engine are very difficult to get at. The high cost of having my mechanic do it was due to the fact he said he had to remove the Plennum to get to those clips in the back. Labor intensive. Was hoping someone had a tip to get it done without all of the removing of parts