I'm being quoted $700-800 for gear swap?!

ScottsIre

Mar 5, 2008
The dealership and two other transmission shops are quoting me this amount for an estimated 8 hrs of labor to swap out my 3:55 for 4:10 and I already have the gear (FRPP). I was expecting $250-300, am I off here?

• Sponsors (?)

Find a different shop (but knowledgeable)! You should not be paying for 8 hours of labor for a rear gear swap. $200-300 in labor seems fair. Mine was just under $300 in labor. I asked the guy at the shop that did mine and he had done over a dozen S197 gear swaps and never had an issue so I felt comfortable letting them do it (they are a supporter of the Mustang club I'm in as well). 43K miles later there is still no sign of misalignment or whine:nice:

Choose shop very wisely, not any ol' mechanic can get gears in correctly (no noise/whine)

You read too much interweb talk. Ive done 2 mustangs and it wasnt that hard... Cobra and then my old GT.

Personally speaking, i would pay half that. They are trying to rape you. This isnt a bad install especially with the "professional" tools. If i were to pay to have someone do this i would give them 300 maybe 350. First time i did it it took me a half a day. Started in the AM and i got done early after noon. Second time around i got it done before lunch. So yea 3-4 man hours is more than enough with proper tools/knowledge.

Here in the Seattle area, I've contacted quite a few shops (dealers, speed shops, differential shops, etc.) and the average around here is about $500 to $1,000 for parts, labor, tax, etc. I had a well-known speed shop in the area quote me $1,200!!! I ended up paying a grand total of $480 for parts, labor, tax, etc. at the Ford dealership I work at (but that was at employee rates).

Most I've ever paid to do a gear swap is about $850, but that one also included correcting the speedometer by buying/installing a Dallas Mustang Speed Calibrator as I didn't have a handheld tuner for that particular car.

a local place in w Canada

Mustang 1979 to 2004 8.8 Solid Axle & IRS

* New Gearset 3.55, 3.73, 3.90, 4.10, 4.30 - Motive Gears
* New Bearing Kit Includes Carrier Bearings, Pinion Bearings, Crush Sleeve, Pinion Seal.
* Remove & Install & Setup Gears, Bearings & Tighten Up Posi - Replace Up To 2 Worn Discs With Good Used Ones.
* New Fluid & Friction Modifier

*>$649.99 Parts & Labour<

* Add $50 For Ford Motorsport
* Add $125 For Ford Motorsport 4.10, 4.30 & 4.56
* Add $125 For New Posi Kit - Clutch Pack Kit & Installed
* Add $125 For New Axle Bearings & Seals & Installed
**All Above Are Add Ons Apply Only To Gear Install - $649

*** Warranty - 1 Year On Parts Defects
* * * * * * * * * * *- 1 Year On Labour Defects

Mention Your Vancouvermustangs.com Members Name & Save $50

*** We'll Install Your Gears For $275 Labour Only.

Those are Canadian prices, right? What would $775 be in U.S. currency.

those are Canadian prices and you've gone the wrong way. To get the gears dun @ that shop, it would cost about 6 bills usd. They are a very popular stang shop here in Vancouver. Everything in Canada is more expensive, or hell @ least i thought so by sum of the prices some of you guys are being quoted (insert racial comment here ______). sheesh