Improper storage caused serious issues (pictures)

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Mililani, Hawaii
My friend just picked up an 88 GT, 33k documented miles. It's a nice car....BUT.... well, let's start with the good. Straight rust free body. Nice paint. Nice interior.
20210605_091145.jpg

20210531_142544.jpg

20210605_093933.jpg

So, here is the issue. The car has been sitting for 20 years, in a garage here in Hawaii. We looked it over generally and we decided to really check things before attempting a start. Good thing we did!!

We pulled the fuel tank and the filler neck crumbled. Once the pump was pulled....omg!
20210605_130714.jpg

The fuel pump and hanger disintegrated in our hands. So, new tank, fuel pump, new lines, filler neck ordered. Next was the water pump which was frozen. Ummmm yeah... can see why
20210608_153913.jpg

And the water neck

20210608_133325.jpg

Block flush, all new cooling system components. I am still of the opinion that this is a very nice car, but a little preventive maintenance would have gone a long way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

This car was also bought from the original owner. The underside of this car is MINT! I will try to get some pictures. I remember this car back when we had a track here. The owner would race it and it ran low 13's. Now remember, this was the early 90's....low 13's back then was a decent time.

Water pump, thermostat back together. Waiting on a radiator.
20210608_152751.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Wow. That’s incredible.

My car sat 10 years at one point. Fresh gas and new oil and I drove it out of where it was kept. That’s amazing that that much damage happened from sitting.

Keep moving forward it will be worth it. Mine sat for about 2 years. List of all it took to get it rolling again. Gas tank was replaced due to rusted out, all hoses, thermostat, coolant, radiator, relay control module, low pressure ac switch, tires, exhaust, hatch striker bolt, tranny seal leaked fixed. Now to put some miles on her to see what else shows up.

beautiful car man.

I would do the following as cheap insurance
Drain and flush ALL of the fluids- oil, coolant, trans, rear, brakes
Squirt some oil in each cylinder
change all filters- oil, air, fuel
blow out the fuel lines
replace all the hoses, belts
check your brake lines- especially the rubber ones
hopefully all of the seals and gaskets are not dry rotted

Great find

The ethanol in the new fuel likes to eat metal. I only use ethanol free fuel. Most marinas sell it if you can't find it at a local pump.

If the car a was mainly a drag strip car the cooling system may have been just filled w water no antifreeze....that would explain the corrosion.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users
The ethanol in the new fuel likes to eat metal. I only use ethanol free fuel. Most marinas sell it if you can't find it at a local pump.
Ethanol free is a good idea for your lawn mower, but it really isn't necessary on a fuel injected car. Given this car has sat for 20 years, well before high ethanol fuel, that's not really a relevant comment.

Kurt

I'd be concerned about one or more of the coolant passages in the block having that junk it in and causing temp issues down the road. I don't know how exactly but while your pulling parts and cleaning I'd look into flushing that block if possible.

• Agree
Ethanol free is a good idea for your lawn mower, but it really isn't necessary on a fuel injected car. Given this car has sat for 20 years, well before high ethanol fuel, that's not really a relevant comment.
Kurt
Depends on the state. Ethanol plants here were already on their second owners by 1994. But after sitting 20 years, it needs flushed anyway. That’s nasty.
Les

Last edited:
Flushed the fuel lines, good pressure to the fuel rails, engine won't start. It got dark so will get back at it tomorrow. It has a funky old school aftermarket ignition system so will have to do some troubleshooting.

20210611_214705.jpg

Last edited: