In car cam change question

thehueypilot

Feb 25, 2004
Medina,Tennessee
I have a 68 coupe with a working AC system. I put the wrong cam in the engine and lost the vaccum to the power brakes so can I change the cam out with the engine still in the car w/o breaking the AC connections? Can the condensor be rotated out of the way w/o losing freon? The engine is a 351W with a roller cam. First hand knowledge would be appreciated.

Tim

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the replies. I guess I am being lazy as it is a PIA to remove and re-install the engine with long tube headers and AOD transmission. I guess I won't lose much time/effort to try first in the car and the worst case pull the engine if I can't.

Tim

What about adding an extra can for vacuum something like this..Or an electric vaccum pump?
Vacuum Canisters - SummitRacing.com

I tried the vacuum canister already (that is the one that is in there) but this cam only produces 10 in/hg max at idle and lower rpm as it came out of my other race car. I thought about the electric pump but they cost too much $$$ and I don't have the room under there to mount it. The power brake booster manufacturer states that you must have a minimum of 18 in/hg for it to work correctly. The brakes worked before I put this new engine in it but now takes both feet and a prayer to stop. Thanks for the info!!

Tim

I tried the vacuum canister already (that is the one that is in there) but this cam only produces 10 in/hg max at idle and lower rpm as it came out of my other race car. I thought about the electric pump but they cost too much $$$ and I don't have the room under there to mount it. The power brake booster manufacturer states that you must have a minimum of 18 in/hg for it to work correctly. The brakes worked before I put this new engine in it but now takes both feet and a prayer to stop. Thanks for the info!!

Tim

Hey Bud,

If that cam is setup correctly and working as designed, not to mention it's setup as a track car, why not pull the M/C and booster and go with manual brakes? It seems to me, the cure is much worse than the pain.
just my 2 cents.

and have you tried a vacume pump?

You mean as a troubleshooting tool just in case the vacuum booster is bad? No I have not as I don't have a electric vacuum pump to evacuate the AC sytem but I guess I could borrow one. I have not tried the fancy electric ones they use in drag racing as I have a Moroso 3 vane, belt driven vacuum pump on my 93 race car that works good but only pulls about 15 in/hg max.

Tim

Hey Bud,

If that cam is setup correctly and working as designed, not to mention it's setup as a track car, why not pull the M/C and booster and go with manual brakes? It seems to me, the cure is much worse than the pain.
just my 2 cents.

My 68 is my hanger queen (car show only crusier) so I would pefer power everything to get me to and from the shows in comfort. Whats odd is it worked in my 93 which has power brakes as well. I guess the newer cars require less vacuum to work?

Tim

My 68 is my hanger queen (car show only crusier) so I would pefer power everything to get me to and from the shows in comfort. Whats odd is it worked in my 93 which has power brakes as well. I guess the newer cars require less vacuum to work?

Tim

OK Tim.

Do you know what the vacuum specs are for that cam? Most good grinders can provide that information. Mine is a custom model with a vacuum rating of 16.9. It managed to supply enough vac to power my booster, that is, when I was running pwr brakes. It just seems a shame to pull, an otherwise, "kick A", cam for something like this. Unless, it's just to rad for a "hanger" queen and you're tired of the 1500 RPM idle?

You mean as a troubleshooting tool just in case the vacuum booster is bad? No I have not as I don't have a electric vacuum pump to evacuate the AC sytem but I guess I could borrow one. I have not tried the fancy electric ones they use in drag racing as I have a Moroso 3 vane, belt driven vacuum pump on my 93 race car that works good but only pulls about 15 in/hg max.

Tim
i meant a electric pump like this.it pulls 20 in/hg

SSBC 28146 - SSBC Electric Vacuum Pump Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

OK Tim.

Do you know what the vacuum specs are for that cam? Most good grinders can provide that information. Mine is a custom model with a vacuum rating of 16.9. It managed to supply enough vac to power my booster, that is, when I was running pwr brakes. It just seems a shame to pull, an otherwise, "kick A", cam for something like this. Unless, it's just to rad for a "hanger" queen and you're tired of the 1500 RPM idle?

Its actually a well behaved cam (900 idle with some shaking) other than the vacuum level. Thanks for the info!

Tim