info on a 1986 5.0

my70stang

Jul 16, 2005
Arizona
ive finally found a good mustang for my 1970 engine swap...what i would like to know is if there are any drawbacks from a 1986 rather than a 1989-1993 5.0.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

taylor

• Sponsors (?)

The 86 5.0 has or should have the crappy E6SE heads. Pistons will not have valve reliefs, so swapping heads and cams later can cause problems. The E6SE chambers look smaller but they're also deeper, moving the valves farther away from the deck, this is the reason the pistons didn't have reliefs. The valve seat is about 1/8" deeper in the head. These heads generate 25 less hp than the later E7TE head.

The 86 5.0 has or should have the crappy E6SE heads. Pistons will not have valve reliefs, so swapping heads and cams later can cause problems. The E6SE chambers look smaller but they're also deeper, moving the valves farther away from the deck, this is the reason the pistons didn't have reliefs. The valve seat is about 1/8" deeper in the head. These heads generate 25 less hp than the later E7TE head.

but they generate more tq :D

ive finally found a good mustang for my 1970 engine swap...what i would like to know is if there are any drawbacks from a 1986 rather than a 1989-1993 5.0.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

taylor

So you found a whole donor car? Is it a HO motor? If you are you taking the whole EFI system from it you may want to think about your future plans and whether you want the Speed Density sytem used in 86 or go MAF.

So you found a whole donor car? Is it a HO motor? If you are you taking the whole EFI system from it you may want to think about your future plans and whether you want the Speed Density sytem used in 86 or go MAF.

hey, and no its not a HO motor, yes im taking the whole EFI system from it and i dont know the defference between SD and MAF

I haven't picked up the donor yet, and based on what I'm hearing maybe I should hold out. What about 5.0 motors from trucks, thunderbirds, crown vics, etc? We found a local junk yard that will sell us a 5.0 complete engine (all pumps, pulleys, etc..) including a 4spd/OD auto for $1100 with a 4 month warranty. That might be a possibility. Maybe we'll just buy a painless wiring kit to make the EFI wiring easier.

Can he notch the Pistons to accomodate a head or cam swap?

With the forged HO pistons, yea, but with the cast std pistons, I wouldn't. You CAN go bigger with a cam, but only if you keep the E6 heads. Swapping E7's or any other small block head on, you're pretty well limited to a cam no bigger than the H.O. roller. And 65fastback2+2 is correct about the torque, but that's all below 4000 rpms or so.