Installed a trunk release button

I thought it was nice to have a remote trunk release on other cars I've owned, even if it was just a cable like my old Celica. I recently added a hidden button under the shifter boot to remotely open my trunk and it works great, I use it alot!

Do you have any other items like this that you have added to your '05 Mustang you feel the factory should have included?

• Sponsors (?)

BLK05GT said:
I thought it was nice to have a remote trunk release on other cars I've owned, even if it was just a cable like my old Celica. I recently added a hidden button under the shifter boot to remotely open my trunk and it works great, I use it alot!

Do you have any other items like this that you have added to your '05 Mustang you feel the factory should have included?

Ive never had the need to use that button in all my previous vehicles I have owned, so I dont miss it really,, I dont know what the big deal is about it, cause any time you gonna get somethin in/out of the trunk you gonna be close enough to use the key to unlock it, or worse case scenario the keyfob,,,
But i guess its one of those things that if youre used to it, you gotta have it,,,,
(Kinda like the bluetooth mobile-ease I got installed on mine,, nothing that you need, but when used to it, you cant live without it !)
:nice:

Sorry, but I don't have a camera....

If you press in on the sides of the shift boot you can pop it out, lift it up, and see there's all kinds of room underneath to mount a button. I made a little bracket and mounted it to the right center of the shifter console.

The wire that opens the trunk is the PINK with ORANGE STRIPE wire behind the passenger kick panel. I wired the button from the power point wire (LIGHT GREEN) to the PINK with ORANGE STRIPE wire behind the passenger kick panel. Push the button and 12 volts goes to the trunk solenoid and it opens without the key on.

Hope this helps and isn't too confusing without pix.

RisingForce said:
Ive never had the need to use that button in all my previous vehicles I have owned, so I dont miss it really,, I dont know what the big deal is about it, cause any time you gonna get somethin in/out of the trunk you gonna be close enough to use the key to unlock it, or worse case scenario the keyfob,,,

I have always found the button on the keyfob to be a lot easier to reach, than the button in the passenger's glove box.

Now, if the factory put the button in the console glove box, that would be a different story. :rolleyes:

I considered almost everywhere when I installed the button; from the dash to the glove box to the console, and finally at the shift boot because it's easy to get to from inside or outside the car (the glove box and console are not the easiest) and it's completely hidden.

Actually I'm interested in anyone else's "changes" you've done. Little stuff, like I didn't like how the keyless entry would look on the door so I hid it under the driver's mirror. I can feel the buttons and it's not an eye-sore (probably looks like I'm fondling my mirror!).

Anyone?

BLK05GT said:
I considered almost everywhere when I installed the button; from the dash to the glove box to the console, and finally at the shift boot because it's easy to get to from inside or outside the car (the glove box and console are not the easiest) and it's completely hidden.

can you describe this bracket a little more? Particularly its design and how you mounted it. Thanks.

One of these days I'll get a digital camera and try to do write-ups like that, great job! BTW, I'm heading out to my shop right now to add a fuse, I didn't initially install one.

EDIT: I just added a 3 amp fuse and it fried on me after testing the trunk release several times. I checked it with my amp meter and it pulls about 9.9 amps. That's holding the button on, like someone normally would not do. The factory fuse is a 20 amp one, so I ended up using a 5 amp fuse just to protect my new wires.

Thanks again!