Installing some new intake bits this weekend, what gains should I expect?

dz187

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
I purchased an Explorer intake manifold w/ 1" spacer, 70mm mass air, 70mm throttle body, 70mm egr spacer, along with 1.6RRs. I was looking for a low buck way to get a bit more power out of my car, and hopefully I will get some... Should I use the manifold spacer? Current mods are in my sig.

• Sponsors (?)

In my experience, those manifold spacers are mostly hype. Use it if you're looking to clear a tall set of valve covers, otherwise all it's doing for you is making your install that much more difficult.

1" may not even clear the stock hood...so be concerned woth that.

I have a 1/2" spacer on mine...because it was $5 on eBay. Didn't notice jack and the upper still gets hot

without some heads to go with the intake I would say 10-15hp max. Get the matching gt40 heads or better and expect a 40-50hp gain.

What I have heard on spacers, they really don't give a HP increase, it it mostly a little more torque because of an increased runner length.

Not how it works. The increased runner length MIGHT shift the torque curve lower in the RPMs ever so slightly, but it wouldn't actually result in MORE torque. In reality it probably wouldn't show any real difference at all, though.