Interesting if You're Into Airplanes

• Sponsors (?)

Some of those look like the pilots should have died to prevent them from spreading their stupidity gene! I've seen some of the others.

Here is one from my personal collection (IOW, I took this picture - when I was in Yuma back in February.)

skywalker said:
Here is one from my personal collection (IOW, I took this picture - when I was in Yuma back in February.)

Dumping a Huey is small potatoes; the RAF once tried to bomb a building I was in! :eek: Seriously, they had a squadron of British Harriers - yeah, the originals, not McDonnell-Douglas/Boeing clones - down here for WTI. One Brit pilot was suffering some serious attitude problems on liftoff from 14R (his PLANE was acting up, not HIM); so he jettisoned everything, including a live but safed 500-pounder. Tip tanks got tangled up in the North fence, but the bomb skipped across 32nd Street (that "7 lanes plus a median" artery that runs along the North side of MCAS-Yuma); missed two cars, a pickup and three Harleys, and finally came to rest in an orange grove - about 250' from the telephone switch building where I was working. :eek:

While a (now retired) Marine buddy of mine was defusing the boom-boom; cops finally came over and evacuated our building - after an hour or so. We didn't even know something had gone wrong :shrug: - other than that somebody pulled some serious G's turning around for the runway and rattled our roof a bit.

Seen some impressive "hard landings" ('cause the Black Sheep never crash! :rolleyes: ); even saw tip gear punched through the wings at the annual Air Show a couple of years ago. But as far as I know, that's the first and only time I have been bombed - and they missed! :D

Still Dreamin'

That was my first det some that was kewl. They told me that we always flatbed one home. I don't know what we're gonna do with the can birds we have in Afghanistan right now, cause they aren't even in a condition to be packed onto a C-5 from what I hear.

I've been shot at by another Marine! haha No kidding...MCT doing squad rush/fire team rush/individual rush live fire exersize ("I'm up, they see me, I'm down..." words that will sadly live in my mind forever) me and another guy ended up in the same path and the next thing I know I'm here whiz-snap-pop and a bullet is landing about a foot from my head - I guess he missed low. I rolled my sorry butt the other way and kept on going - no tracers so I guess no one noticed - and I made sure to veer away. We were right at the end anyhow.

I watched a huey lose a fuel cell on take off at MCAS Pendleton. It cut power and did an emergency autorotation.

I've had some other fun stuff (can you say, wetdown in Yuma?) but never been bombed. That one is crazy!

Black sheep never crash my @$$! :) I'm not a Harrier fan.

skywalker said:
I've had some other fun stuff (can you say, wetdown in Yuma?) but never been bombed. That one is crazy!

Black sheep never crash my @$$! :) I'm not a Harrier fan.

Okay, so what stripe did you wet down? Been to two wet-downs; one was a new SSgt, one a new MSgt. I'm told that civilians at wetdowns are rare (old Army brats even MORE rare); but in each case I had to drag the guest of honor's already-drunk a$$ to the fracas. It also helps that Uncle Sam's Misguided Children often get tied to the Jaycees in this li'l redneck town. :D NEITHER ONE of the guys was the aforementioned weps guy.... SSgt was (get this) a PMO Accident Investigator, Top Lillie (call him Jerry, but pronounce it Joe-wee like Elmer Fudd would say) went from Logistics S4 for MAWTS-1 to the Belleau Wood for his final tour. After that he went on terminal leave, retired and was Chairman of the Rodeo you probably missed while you were here.

Another pretty good friend is a retired Base C.O. that decided it was better to live here and sell real estate than to move back home to Texas! See if that doesn't rattle Blake's chain! :p He's trying to sell me the 2.5 AC that backs up to his place.

Gotta love livin' in a small town with a bunch of quasi-fighter jets down on the South end! :D

Still Dreamin'

Wadda bunch o Jarheads...

...I can say that since I am one. I've been to Yuma several times, for WTI and a buddy was from there, and I can definitively say it sucks...

We had the 53 lifting our gear to the top of Black Mountain lose oil pressure and have to set down quickly. A half hour earlier we were on the same 53. Luckly he didn't just cut the load loose at 500 ft.

Had to listen to another 53 hover for an hour outside our barracks in Oki, seems the front oleo strut separated as he lifted off from a landing ship offshore, made it kinda difficult to land.

Then the best one is from my new job, the former parent company had a driver run a high box truck into the rotor blade of a news chopper, tipped it completely over on its side....needless to say, he don't work there no more...

I once saw a vid of a f16 trying a inside loopy right from take off. he miss judged it and put it in to the ground. he allmost saved it, but it went belly first in to the ground. He did eject and was a ok until he had to talk to his superiours! LOL, I bet he got a chewing out for that one!

that pilots flight looked like this....
Ejection_03.jpg

mustangracer said:
...I can say that since I am one. I've been to Yuma several times, for WTI and a buddy was from there, and I can definitively say it sucks...

We had the 53 lifting our gear to the top of Black Mountain lose oil pressure and have to set down quickly.

First; most guys on WTI det's only get to see what the MAWTS-1 guys let them see, and the MAWTS guys like to keep their berths! So, you obviously missed out on the good stuff. :p

And I've always gotta laugh about those "Aerial Assaults" on the dreaded wilderness of Black Mountain in Imperial County. :lol: I used to work for a Land Mobile Radio shop that had a repeater site up there (among other hilltops). Had a repeater start getting "weak-voiced" at that site one weekend; took all my test gear, a spare repeater PA, my (then only two) kids and my wife along for the ride - in her Ford Tempo! :p You need to know that to get to that "remote location"; you drive about 1.5 miles off California S.R.78 on a well-graded dirt road, then on a paved road up the hill. There's one (1) bar ditch that's a little hairy to cross in a well loaded 1986 Ford econobox, otherwise the drive up there is a breeze. Got to spend a day "out" with my family; which I could not have done had I taken the company's Toyota 4x4 "hilltop truck". And you guys take a '53 :rlaugh:

Still Dreamin'