interior door paint

tretz

Member
Mar 17, 2004
62
0
6
stockton, ca
I stripped the doors on my 67's interior and shot then with primer. That part went ok, now I can see the embossed grain that was filled in. My problem is with the Ivy gold paint I got from mustangs plus, it seems like there is almost no pigment in this paint. Is it going to take 30 coats to get coverage? Anyone have this problem?
 
Not 30 coats, but it will take about five! There isn't a lot of pigment in those custom cans. Don't try to create a final finish with the first coat and you'll be fine.

One secret- shake, shake, and shake some more! During painting, shake regularly. The custom colors aren't as refined chemically, and it takes a lot of shaking to keep the pigment and metal flakes suspended in the carrier.