Interior Two Tone Color???

07AlloyGT

Jan 27, 2007
Ripley, TN
My 89 Mustang has Smoke Gray Interior, but the top of the dash, door panels, and around the 1/4 windows was a darker color. I thought it was a dark charcoal gray, but sales guys at both Late Model Restoration & CJ Pony Parts told me the color was "BLACK" and that mine was just faded. So I bought the black lacquer paint based on the information they gave me and painted all the darker colored trim parts..........I am the original owner of this car and I can tell you without doubt that those parts were NEVER that black. It's way way too dark. Does anyone know what the actual color of the top portion of the two tone paint is? Paint Code?? And where can it be purchased. National Parts Depot list a Charcoal Black, but says it was used ONLY on the steering wheel and column. But I'm thinking the top portion was the same color as the steering wheel & column. Any info would be MOST helpful.

• Sponsors (?)

My low mileage '89 has a smoke gray interior and the tops of door panels/dash etc are definitely black. Sounds like been it's faded over the years. 22 years is a long time to remember a shade of black.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree that it has faded over the years and 22 years is a long time to remember a shade of black. There has been plenty of sleeping and alcohol consumption over those 22 years. However my new door panels are a lighter shade at the top. That's what made me question the color black I sprayed everything else. I guess worse case scenario, I can buy some black vinyl dye from the same company and spray the top of the door panels to make them match.

I have to disagree with these accent color areas being called black. The upper part of the dash, steering wheel and column, top of the door panels, "A" pillar trim and (visors in verts) are not black. Not to forget the area surrounding the rear quarter windows in hatch and coupes.
All these areas are charcoal.
Only in the '90-93 black interior cars were these areas painted black along with the interior.

I bought my '88 vert new and it has spent its whole life in the garage so there's no fading. Same with my SSC. Low miles hiding in the garage, no fading.
I owned an '87 vert for awhile same charcoal color.

Years ago I did some sound system mods in my '88 and had to mix custom charcoal paint to match the accent color because there was none available.
I still have it for use on the occasional touch up.

07alloy Gt: Remove one of your upper dash speaker covers or a piece of your steering column trim and take it to a autobody paint supply house. They can match it in lacquer for you. Some can put it in aerosol cans for you.
Good Luck

We have the same interior in our 92 as many have described. The grey color is faded and the black (dark color) is also faded. Eventually everything will get changed to black as the Ford Grey trim after 20 years looks dingy. I don't know about the rattle can solution. Please post pics of how yours came out with hopes it will change my mind and save money.

I don't know the name of the color, but it is a darker shade of gray, definitely not black. If I were you I would take a sample piece to an auto body supply place that sells SEM products and either match it to a can of paint, or have them custom mix it for you and put it in a spray can. In my experience the paint that LMR sells is nowhere near a match for factory colors.

Funny that I was searching for this answer and found this same post. I have owned a ton of these cars and have had them as far back as 1990. It is and has always been a dark dark gray of some sort. I have been trying lately to find this color for mine because it has some worn areas on the passenger side top. It looks like it has been wiped over the years so many times that it is just starting to wear off on sharp edges. I would love to hear of a rattle can color someone has used to repair this.