Intermittent No-Start Condition - Please Help!

g89lx

Founding Member
Nov 14, 2001
NJ
I have an AOD-equipped, '89 LX 5.0. Recently, I've been having difficulty starting the car.
This has happened several times. Once, it took place after the car had been sitting for a few hours, but the other times were after I had driven the car for a while. I'll go to start it, turn the key, and it won't crank at all. The usual lights on the dash come up and I'll hear the fuel pump kick on, but nothing else happens.

The following items have either been checked or replaced:
Battery and cables
Fuel pump
Fuel pump relay
Neutral Safety Switch
TFI Module

When the car does finally start (for no apparent reason), it runs normally. It looks like an electrical glitch. The only other things that I can think of that may be causing the problem are the starter solenoid or the ignition switch mechanism.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks very much for the suggestions. This problem is really annoying, because I don't want to drive the car anywhere for fear I'll get stranded. :(

Anyone else have any suggestions for me?

Thanks

Ka0tyk,

I replaced the relay and that appears to have solved the problem (knock on wood). Just wanted to thank you and the others who offered help.

g89lx

if it happens again, turn the key on, pop the hood, make sure you are in neutral. take the slide on connector (small AWG wire) off the solenoid. touch it to the battery lug on the solenoid (with all the cables on it).

if it still does not start, jump across the lugs on the solenoid.
based on what test works, you will know what to look at/test/replace.

just for future reference.