Intermittent Problem Starting 1992 Mustang

rontornambe

Nov 13, 2013
I have a 1992 Mustang LX (4-Cyl.) convertible that will not start on occasion. The battery is fine and I can hear the fuel pump motor when I turn the key halfway. At unpredictable times. the engine won't turn-over and sounds gasoline starved. When this happens, I cannot hear the fuel pump motor. If I wait several minutes, the car starts again.

I am not sure if this is related, but another problem occurred on a very hot and humid day when I had the a/c turned on. The engine also seemed starved for gas, and just sputtered and died. After waiting a few minutes and turning off the a/c. the car starts normally.

Your help is much appreciated!

TIA

• Sponsors (?)

You posted a TECH question in Talk. This limits your chances of getting some really good advice, since most guys aren't looking for Tech stuff in the Talk forum.

My advice to you is to twofold:
1.) Send a PM to one of the moderators and have your thread moved to 5.0 Tech
2.) Next time you start a thread, think about where it goes. If you are new to Stangnet, please read the terms of service and give extra thought to where your new thread belongs. There is some help in the text below to help you find the best place to start your thread.
General tech problems go in 5.0 Tech. Tech is for suspension, electrical, brakes, body, engine repair and general troubleshooting on the computer & trouble codes

Tall tales about your 5.0 Mustang, pictures of your 5.0 Mustang project and stories about your last trip to the race track go in 5.0 Talk.

Do this and you'll get the best answers quicker and not get lost in the maze of posts about everything but the type of problem you are having.

@Noobz347 please move this to Tech
Having said that, here’s some help…

Are we talking about a no crank problem - turn the key and nothing happens or a cranks OK but won't fire off and run problem?

Last edited: