Intermittent starting problem! please help

Warbird19

Founding Member
Sep 27, 2001
Washington, Federal Way
Well i have an starter crank problem. First of all i have the battery in the rear with one gauge cables, i have a summit pro torque starter, and i have alrady replaced the ignition switch. I have played with the clutch saftey switch by pushing it in by hand still no luck. The thing is that this only happens it seems when the cars been running for awhile, but somtimes ill come out in the morning and nothing. when it happens i try to slam the clutch to the floor, cycle the key a couple of times but nothing help. What could it be? Any ideas? im kinda nervous driving the car around cause this happens too much. and its embarassing having to push start the thing. Thanks, Andy

• Sponsors (?)

If you still have the stock solenoid, can you see if you get 12 volts to the slide-on connector during cranking?
Alternatively, you can check the output value at the Clutch-safety switch.

If you had to lengthen the starter-interlock wire, you might have a voltage drop issue going on with the trigger wire - Been there and done that.

Battery cables and motor grounds are good? I have used jumper cables to augment the stock cables one at a time (run the jumper in parallel) - if it cranks all of a sudden, whatever you are paralleling is likely insufficient.

Good luck.

Warbird19 said:
well im using the stock solenoid but just as a junction, I have it hidden in the fender. I used a votage meter to measure what the trigger wire was reading and i only saw 6 somthing volts. is there a way to bypass the clutch switch?
I dont recommend it permanently (esp if others drive the car, etc), but if you pull the connector off, a blade fuse happens to fit great. Dont ask how I know. ;)

If you only have 6 volts going into that connector during crank (before the switch) then I would trace it up to the ignition switch. I wanna say it is a white/pink wire at the switch.

Good luck.