Is 2000 Impala any good? Might trade in stang.

SmockDoiley

Jun 14, 2003
San Diego, CA
First off, its not a normal Impala. Its a police package impala with the black rims and chrome center caps, it has the provision for a light bar, vinyl matting instead of carpet and a search light. I dont know if it was ever used as a cop car but I'll ask the dealership tomorrow. The best part is the price. Its on clearance for $3999!!! Anybody know anything bad about them. I'm thinking about selling my 95 because the impala is cool, its larger, newer, and cheaper on gas and insurance. I'll still have my 600 horse 85 so dont get mad.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know, to me they are just Malibu's with the luxury package. They do have alot better stuff than a regular Malibu like an aluminum subframe. Really, I wouldn't own another FWD car, I would opt for a truck.

Why YES, Smok, I do know something about those heaps. We own one, a 2000, and if it had the 3.8 in it, get ready to replace the intake manifold, it warps, cause its plastic, and it costs around 350 - 400 bucks to replace, and here is the best part. They put the same one back on, not an improved one that wont warp!!!!! :bang: Needless to say, I was pissed. There was a recall, on the pile, to "check the bolts on the throttle body, inspect for a coolant leak under the manifold, and put some stop leak in the coolant system" But as the d1ckhead at the Chevy garage told me, "Oh, the stop leak has NOOOOTHING to do with the manifold leak" RIIIIIGHT!!! And WHY was there a "check for leaks under manifold" in there? It was there to get that piece o sh1t past 35000 so I would get to buy another one. GRRRRRRRRRRR. Bringing back old memories.

I

WILL

NEVER

BUY A

CHEVY

AGAIN!!

by the way, it was the wifes idea. :mad:

Why would you ever consider buying such a crappy car? There is a reason they only want $3999 for a 2000, it's a piece of crap. If you want to trade in the '95 for a larger car, (I don't know why you would ever trade in a Mustang for anything but an upgraded Mustang) why not look at something that will:

A. hold it's value
and
B. last longer than piece of **** Chevy throw away car

Why not look at a Camry or Accord. Yeah, you might spend a little more now, but you are going to get a lot more in 4-5 years or so when you trade it in. If you are paying $3999 now for a 4 year old car, what could you possibly get for it in 4-5 years from now. And if this Impala is anything like what Craig Gaines says it is, you are going to have to pay someone to take it from you. Don't be a sucker.

That price is high for a cop car. They don't have any performance upgrades over a stock impala. It will have the 3.8, they are known for upper intake issues, but other than that, they last forever.

Smock - don't be tempted; the build-quality is attrocious. And if it was a police vehicle, it has likely been abused. Abuse and low build qualilty go together like, well, like using gasoline to put a fire out. And you think 4400 lbs. of tank with 350 cubic inches is gonna be easier on gas than your 95? Hmmm.....

If it was the old whale body 350 cube rear drive car, it might be worth something. Smock is looking at the front driver V6. I wouldn't touch a cop car or any fleet vehicle with front wheel drive. They just can't take the abuse. If the cab companies don't want them used, that might be tellling you something. I'll bet you'll find the gas mileage isn't that much better.

I think those cars are fugly. They were cool about 5 years ago when they first came out but too many times I see gangsters or wanna bes rollin on dubs in their lame ass impala. Its nothin special and I think youll get sick of it real quick. I know I would. Get something more respectable or professional or stick with the stang.

Thanks 1940 - clearly I don't know my year-model Impalas.

Smock - In that case, I'd say it's an even bigger no. If you want a roomier, efficient, four door car - I don't know why you wouldn't look for a good used Camry or Accord. You just can't beat them for reliability, quality, efficiency, insurance costs, resale......easy to see why Ford and GM seem to have thrown in the towel trying to compete with them in that category. As gas costs continue to rise, and GM and Ford continue to be unable to successfully build/market/sell small/mid size cars, that Ford/GM merger I've been predicting looms closer and closer. You may just want to wait a bit longer Smock - in a year or two you just might be able to buy a new 4-dr. based on the Stang and the Malibu - MaliStang.

Well it wasnt a former cop car. For some reason, they built them like a cop car and then sold them as a normal car. I guess they thought since people buy cop cars, they could sell these. I first saw one new in 2000 at a dealership with no miles. It was being sold to anyone who wanted it. Also, I checked the bluebook and its $9000 for this area. Well if anyone wants a TOTALLY stock original california 95 5.0 with only 105,000 miles on it with Mach460 and power everything its yours for $5800. It Blue Books for $6700 here in Illinois and I just redid the brakes,replaced the tires, O2 sensors and the factory H-pipe.

Often, police agencies will order up a certain number of police cars (ssp) to be made, and often for one reason or other they won't pick all of them up. It has been known and is common that a number of police built cars never made it into police duty, and were sold straight to the public with the police package.

Wow man, watch it. dont go over to the dark side (A.K.A Chevy). their are better choices out there my friend. if i were you looking for a 4 door car with some kind of power and any kind of road presence i would go for something like a taurus SHO. a friend of mine had a 1997 and that thing was great. it had a surprising amount of power, and incredible handleing. it would have much more power then this impala and greater all around performance and driving satisfaction. plus you can get one for about 5-6000 depending on options. they went up to 1999 and had a 3.4L 8cly. they also look really good. thats just my opinion.

mustangGT03281 said:
i would go for something like a taurus SHO. a friend of mine had a 1997 and that thing was great. it had a surprising amount of power, and incredible handleing. it would have much more power then this impala and greater all around performance and driving satisfaction. plus you can get one for about 5-6000 depending on options. they went up to 1999 and had a 3.4L 8cly. they also look really good. thats just my opinion.

Nice cars & engine, but unfortunately all lot of them are showing up with cam problems. Actually the new Duratec 24-valve seems to be a pretty good engine in a Taurus & Sable, if you can find them for cheap.